Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving to IVA
tims31

posted on 11/6/17 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Driving to IVA

Hopefully if everything goes well this week, I will be driving to the Norwich test center on Friday for my IVA. Out of interest has anybody on here ever been stopped on their way or way back from a test due to having no number plates etc?

The trip for me will be 68 miles each way so will hopefully have a good drive there and back.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

loggyboy

posted on 11/6/17 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Not a problem if you do. Just have a copy of the appointment and your insurance with you.

Mistral Motorsport

tims31

posted on 11/6/17 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Not a problem if you do. Just have a copy of the appointment and your insurance with you.

Yeah, got all that was just wondering if anyone had been stopped

ReMan

posted on 11/6/17 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
I got stooped in n my way back 11 years ago!
Police had not got a clue and consulted the office to be a old it was illegal to drive without plates
ais mentioned, the get out is the invitation to the test which did (does?) state not necessary

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

rusty nuts

posted on 11/6/17 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I was stopped on the way home from my SVA test at Norwich , I had insurance, licence , appointment details and the certificate for the test. After checking the paperwork he asked if Norwich was the nearest test cEnter to which I replied it was one of two nearest but Norwich could fit me in earlier. Nice car he said but your bound to be stopped again before you gat home and that was that
Ianboom

posted on 11/6/17 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
My nearest test centre is 23 miles away (Kidderminster), but I've been told that this time last year, the wait was 4 months, the next nearest test centre is 55 miles away via the M42 and M1 (Derby).
Not sure I want to drive a Westfield 55 miles on the motorway, possibly in rain and rush hour traffic in a car that has onlt been driven 10 miles in total!
There are a couple of guys on the WSCC site that have been pulled over, the police weren't aware of the loop hole driving to a test centre, but mada a couple of calls and everything was OK.
One guy put a sign on the back of his car stating it was going to a DVSA test centre.

zx12r dug

posted on 11/6/17 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I drove 3 of my builds for test when it was sva and much cheaper I trailered the next 2 builds for iva when the expense went up as if you was to break down on the way you'd loose your test appointment and your fee could turn out to be a more of a expensive day than it already is.I had a cop car behind me at a set of traffic lights in birmigham on my way home from testing they didnt bother me maybe they were use to seeing kitcars in the test centre area with no plates Good luck with the test...

[Edited on 11/6/17 by zx12r dug]

tims31

posted on 11/6/17 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zx12r dug
I drove 3 of my builds for test when it was sva and much cheaper I trailered the next 2 builds for iva when the expense went up as if you was to break down on the way you'd loose your test appointment and your fee could turn out to be a more of a expensive day than it already is.I had a cop car behind me at a set of traffic lights in birmigham on my way home from testing they didnt bother me maybe they were use to seeing kitcars in the test centre area with no plates Good luck with the test...

[Edited on 11/6/17 by zx12r dug]

Yeap, I am a bit concerned about driving 70 miles having only done a couple of up and downs a straight road but also can't wait to try it out on the road too.

Sounds like quite a few people have been stopped. Will have copies of all my paperwork to hand.

sdh2903

posted on 11/6/17 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Drove mine to iva 50 miles each way in april. No problems 2 plods sat behind me and never pulled me. As above just had my paperwork to hand just incase.

The above point is a valid one. It's a lot of money to lose should you break down. For this reason I had a mate with a van in tow with basic tools. Jack. Tow rope. So even if the worst came to worst I could be dragged to the test.

Ianboom

posted on 11/6/17 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Good point. Ironically, I threw my toe rope in the Westfield Friday when I took it for an emissions check.
I'll probably get the wife to follow me to the test centre.

tims31

posted on 11/6/17 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ianboom
Good point. Ironically, I threw my toe rope in the Westfield Friday when I took it for an emissions check.

Exactly what I am doing too. Wife following me with my tools in the car and a tow rope just in case.

avagolen

posted on 11/6/17 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Best of luck. Hope the whole experience is great.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

rusty nuts

posted on 11/6/17 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
quote:
Originally posted by Ianboom

Exactly what I am doing too. Wife following me with my tools in the car and a tow rope just in case.

Not so sure I would let my wife tow me in a car!

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/6/17 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had some number plates made up saying IVA Test, apparently the police are told to leave alone if they see a car marked this way.

[img] car being checked pre IVA
car being checked pre IVA
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

ttalps2000

posted on 12/6/17 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
How have you got on with insurance? I have been told by several companies now that they can insure my car on the chassis number to drive to IVA, but if it fails, I am not insured to drive it back again as the car will be deemed as non-roadworthy.
big-vee-twin

posted on 12/6/17 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I drove to the IVA and had to get trailered back after failing, IVA tester stated he would report me to the police if I drove it home faulty.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

ttalps2000

posted on 12/6/17 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not the only one then! I would love to drive it there, but then I need someone to bring a trailer too! Will just have to wait a bit longer before I can go for a play!
Ianboom

posted on 12/6/17 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have thought it was like an MOT, as long as it's not dangerously unsafe, you can drive back after a fail?

Seems daft if you fail on something like a sharp edge or noisy exhaust.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/6/17 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I drove to my SVA, but had a breakdown when I was just a few miles from the centre (and I found out later it was a trivial problem that I could have fixed in 10 minutes! ).
It was scary driving a small, open-topped car down the very busy A12 on a dark October morning in the rush hour. I hired a trailer for my rebooked test...

Ianboom

posted on 12/6/17 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've been offered to be driven with a trailer by a fellow WSCC member, but only on Fridays as they don't work then.

I can borrow the trailer any time, but don't have anything to tow it with.

My brother has a pickup and trailer I can borrow, but lives 100 miles away

ReMan

posted on 12/6/17 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I drove to the IVA and had to get trailered back after failing, IVA tester stated he would report me to the police if I drove it home faulty.

How supportive!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

tims31

posted on 13/6/17 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
oh don't say that, i don't know what I would do if it fails then.

My insurance stated that I was ok to drive there and back from the test, nothing mentioned about if it failed

ttalps2000

posted on 13/6/17 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
i would check if I were you!
Irony

posted on 13/6/17 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Rear Drive Shaft broke loose on my drive to the IVA about 2 miles from the test centre. Nowhere to stop and I was blocking a main road. A riot van full of coppers stopped and pushed me off the road. One commented and asked about my absent plate. I told him I was on the way to the test centre. He shrugged and jumped into his van and sped off.
nick205

posted on 13/6/17 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I drove to and from my SVA (Winchester to Southampton) without plates. Didn't get stopped, but had the appointment and insurance paperwork in my pocket just in case. Thinking back I don't recall even seeing a police car on either journey.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.