Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turning up late for the IVA
CosKev3

posted on 29/6/17 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ianboom
I have my test at Kidderminster next Wednesday at 8....Gulp!

Don't mention this thread to the tester!!!

loggyboy

posted on 29/6/17 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ianboom
I have my test at Kidderminster next Wednesday at 8....Gulp!

Make a note of the time you arrive and the time they start!!

Mistral Motorsport

40inches

posted on 29/6/17 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Happened at my first SVA test in 2002, so not a new thing 10 minutes late due to accident on the M1.
Nottingham offer PM test. I had a 1pm at Nottingham in 2013.

Irony

posted on 29/6/17 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I was very late to my IVA retest. I broke down with a rear half shaft come loose. I phoned the station and the guy was most sympathetic and said no worries - just ring to rebook and there will be no extra charge. Had my retest a few weeks later.

The two testers at Nottingham are amazing, I would recommend that centre without a doubt. Failed me on about 5 points and explained why and what to do to get it through. He was a bit stern but very fair.

coyoteboy

posted on 29/6/17 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I might be devils advocate here, and I'm sure you had no intention of being late and are reasonable... but if you turn up late to anything like this I think you can expect this. They have fixed times to work to, they don't want to be rushed because people will always take a mile if they give an inch. And assuming he's planning to use the full allotted time, you've now wasted a slot. Waste of time starting if you can't finish (in his view). I dunno. I get sick of people being late to meetings, especially if they don't call to let me know.

That said, I'm usually late. I just don't expect to be treated well because of it!

CosKev3

posted on 30/6/17 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I might be devils advocate here, and I'm sure you had no intention of being late and are reasonable... but if you turn up late to anything like this I think you can expect this. They have fixed times to work to, they don't want to be rushed because people will always take a mile if they give an inch. And assuming he's planning to use the full allotted time, you've now wasted a slot. Waste of time starting if you can't finish (in his view). I dunno. I get sick of people being late to meetings, especially if they don't call to let me know.

That said, I'm usually late. I just don't expect to be treated well because of it!

But when you've got numerous people stating at IVA tests the tester talked for circa 30 mins before starting/made them a cup of tea etc they can obviously spare some time so cancelling a 5 hour test for 15 minutes genuine unavoidable lateness is harsh.

Irony

posted on 30/6/17 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Well I get the impression that the IVA testers are the least rushed people in the whole world. I was told they schedule a entire day for a IVA and we were done for 2pm and thats with the IVA taking a hours lunch, driving the car around and altering things.

Sound to me like the IVA in this case was just being a arse or the OP offended him somehow and he 'decided' to stick to the rules.

coyoteboy

posted on 30/6/17 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed, I'm not excusing it - it sounds totally unnecessary. I just think it works both ways and it's easy to take the OP's stand on it without considering the chap at the other end who's planned his day and maybe intended to get other vital things done that afternoon.

CosKev3

posted on 30/6/17 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Indeed, I'm not excusing it - it sounds totally unnecessary. I just think it works both ways and it's easy to take the OP's stand on it without considering the chap at the other end who's planned his day and maybe intended to get other vital things done that afternoon.

Not really a valid argument when it's a 5 hour booked slot though?
And from people's experiences they never are testing the full 5 hours anyway!

I bet he wouldn't have turned a Westfield away if the factory turned up 15 mind late either,as they take all there's to Kidderminster.

tims31

posted on 1/7/17 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crispy
... don't do it.

Based on experience gained yesterday it's not a good idea to arrive late. Give yourself plenty of time even if this means that if everything goes your way you'll end up sitting in the test center car park hours before your allotted test.

Not going to go into the whys or wherefores, or even attempt to come up with an excuse, but I arrived with my car on a hired trailer at 08:15 yesterday for a test that was booked for 08:00 and subsequently got turned away. At £450 + the trailer hire cost + fuel + time booked off work that was an expensive lesson to learn. The only good that might come of it is that others might learn something from my mistake.

Wow...gutted for you.

I know it doesn't help but I deliberately left early and ended up being there 30 mins early. Offloaded the car from the trailer and we sat and had a coffee and chat for 30 mins before starting. Very relaxed and enjoyable once I knew the result and Dennis at Norwich was really good.

I was worried about missing the test as I had never really driven mine far so ended up trailering it in the end just in case.

15 mins does seem very harsh especially as most of the test centers seem to be around busy routes.

Hope all goes better next time

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.