Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road trip communication
Benzine

posted on 11/7/17 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Road trip communication

I'm going on a road trip later this summer and wondered what folks are using for communication between cars. Radios with ear pieces? I'll be in my MK with a helmet on. I went to germany and back without any radio/phone comms and it got a bit frustrating!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 11/7/17 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I would think a Bike coms would fit the bill?
Something like this http://www.intaride.com/bike-to-bike-radio.html
Or
Helmet mounted

[Edited on 11-7-17 by 40inches]

ragindave

posted on 11/7/17 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
This App looks interesting.

Intercom for Android

Dick

posted on 11/7/17 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
My son and I use the starcom1 motorbike kits in our cars. They do the lot headset to radio mp3 phone bluetooth , you can get cheap seconed hand systems on ebay now
loggyboy

posted on 11/7/17 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ragindave
This App looks interesting.

Intercom for Android

indeed -https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidintercom&hl=en_GB

Mistral Motorsport

mookaloid

posted on 11/7/17 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have these for bike to bike comms Sena SMH10 really good and clear even at motorway speeds.

Range with line of sight up to about 1km.

not the cheapest but.......

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/7/17 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
4X1200M BT DSP Bluetooth Motorbike Motorcycle Helmet Interphone Intercom Headset

These are very good apparently, they also do sets of 2.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

nelmo

posted on 12/7/17 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
You need to check what everyone else on your trip is using - no good if your system won't link with theirs.

Also worth checking the range of the motorbike systems - the Autocom is good but expensive and I recall that the cheaper ones don't have much of a range. I have a Nolan helmet for my bike and their own Bluetooth headset but I've never used the intercom so can't say how good it is.

Build Blog

Benzine

posted on 12/7/17 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses

[Edited on 12-7-2017 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greenwood03

posted on 1/8/17 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
we use 2 way radios, the baofeng uv5's which are cheap as chips....obviously any will do the trick, but these are cheap and so far reliable. Most of the guys that use them in our clan have home brew headsets....as few of us bother with helmets, so we just have the motorbike ear piece and boom mic and we put them into a normal pair of ear defenders....
or those that have helmets use them as intended.....either way they work well.

Range varies depending on terrain, anything from 1/2 a mile through to about 1.5-2miles. that's with the normal stubby antenna.
IF ( big if) the person talking has the mic in the right place, and isnt talking through a snood or shouting then its perfectly possible to have a reasonable conversation up to about 50mph, at m/way speeds its good enough to be able to have a short chat about a fuel stop or whatever.

Interestingly i've driven with a couple of guys that use them via a starcom/autocom type hub which are hard wired into the cars, and for whatever reason they are the worst to hear/understand....

i reckon our diy 'kit' with radio works, so defenders/radio + the mic etc works out about £60/65 in total. One of the best thngs we ever did for group driving, even on a sunday run out there's banter and chat about all manner of things let alone the more serious side to warning about obstacles ahead etc.

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

Matt21

posted on 1/8/17 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone used an intercom system from their kit car to a tin top?
All of my car friends drive tin tops so it would be handy to have something so we can chat to each other. No great range needed as we'd all be together anyway

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

Robbaa

posted on 30/11/17 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at the scala packtalk systems. my mates use them on their motorbike runs and swear by them. bluetooth and all nice and wireless. a little pricey though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.