Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT System
miskit

posted on 14/7/17 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
MOT System

Putting my Q plate Fugitive through it's MOT (it's only ever had one!) with a garage that I don't think has not done a Q plate before.

Do I need to be ready armed with the manual references as to why it does not need a fog light/hazard lights/emissions etc. or does the MOT system automatically provide guidance.

I know it's not an IVA but I am just as paranoid about it!

theconrodkid

posted on 14/7/17 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
take the paperwork just to be sure,depends on their attitude but some dont like to be "told how to do their job".
when i had an odity i used to speak to the garage first to see if they knew the oddball rules and their attitude to me pointing things out,then decide wether to take it there or not.
oh and emmissions on a Q are visible smoke only,all the other items are as per a "normal" car.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

loggyboy

posted on 14/7/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Stick it in and hope. If you dont have a friendly MOTer, going armed will likely end up with holes picked in it. Best wait to the end to make any arguments. Stick around in the viewing area if you can and try to strike up a conversation.

Mistral Motorsport

gremlin1234

posted on 14/7/17 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

oh and emmissions on a Q are visible smoke only,all the other items are as per a "normal" car.

no the rest is tested as a 1971 car

MOT manual introduction, page 8
code:
Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows:
For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1 August 1975.
For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971,

edit mot not iva

[Edited on 14/7/17 by gremlin1234]

miskit

posted on 14/7/17 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
^^ I rest my case!

So I think I will have the relevant section noted but not say anything unless there is an issue. Unknown garage to me as my usual is booked out for weeks. But they can do it while I wait so that's a bonus.

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/7/17 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
My old local garage was great with the kit cars, use to get me to sit in the car and help out. Even one time I drove on the ramp and ripped the exhaust right off they re-welded it back on for free

never bothered with the emissions or the headlight aim

I think most garages will be glad to get something novel rather than the hum drum stuff

[Edited on 14/7/17 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/7/17 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
The MoT 'system' provides no guidance, it's up the tester to know what is said in the manual. When he consults the manual, he'll find it all there. A Q-plate is a joy to test, as is an older vehicle. Both the kit and the old 1967 LR find most of the form 'not applicable'. Because neither require the engine operating for brakes, steering, etc., etc., it's also a very quiet affair. You can actually hear what he wants you to do.

The only issue with the MoT has been the tester being too obese to get into the car. Simply impossible.

Benzine

posted on 14/7/17 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I got my Q plate MK tested at a garage I hadn't used before on Wednesday. No issues at all with it being a Q. Failed on one thing, a ball joint. Fixed this morning but they can't fit me in til monday would have thought it'd only take a minute
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWallace

posted on 14/7/17 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miskit
Putting my Q plate Fugitive through it's MOT (it's only ever had one!) with a garage that I don't think has not done a Q plate before.

Do I need to be ready armed with the manual references as to why it does not need a fog light/hazard lights/emissions etc. or does the MOT system automatically provide guidance.

I know it's not an IVA but I am just as paranoid about it!

It is correct that an MOT on a Q plate doesn't need to test hazard lights? Mine nearly failed on hazard lights a couple of months ago but I got them working again. Is there a link to the correct test requirements so that I can print something off and take it with me next time?

BTW, he had quite a job getting the emissions test kit to accept a smoke only test as all of the data is automatically logged these days.

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

gremlin1234

posted on 14/7/17 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
Mine nearly failed on hazard lights a couple of months ago but I got them working again.

if fitted they must work
mot pg2 of section 1.4,
code:
Hazard warning devices are not required on vehicles first used before 1 April 1986, but if one is fitted it must be tested.

gremlin1234

posted on 14/7/17 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miskit
^^ I rest my case!

So I think I will have the relevant section noted but not say anything unless there is an issue. Unknown garage to me as my usual is booked out for weeks. But they can do it while I wait so that's a bonus.

actually re-reading the section of the manual, it is clear that the system should know about the date parameters, though the tester may need to correct them.
the system should then only offer the appropriate Reasons for Rejection

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.