Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New changes to the Mot starts In May. (Not The emissions one)
jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 11/2/18 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
New changes to the Mot starts In May. (Not The emissions one)

Had this sent to me so posting here as well

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!

So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months and remember spare a thought for your MOT tester before you say...

"Well it passed like that last year!"

wylliezx9r

posted on 11/2/18 at 04:35 AM Reply With Quote
Bring it on !

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

snapper

posted on 11/2/18 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you for that Jester, most helpful
I’ll be reconnecting the EGR valve on the ST soon

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

40inches

posted on 11/2/18 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have fitted an EGR blanking plate to the SAAB, it isn't visible so should be OK?
twybrow

posted on 11/2/18 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
How many of these will apply to an older vehicle or a Q plate car? There cannot be an expectation that an old car will suddenly have an EFI light added for example?
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/18 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
How many of these will apply to an older vehicle or a Q plate car? There cannot be an expectation that an old car will suddenly have an EFI light added for example?

Yeah but really it's only a light (with a picture of an engine) that comes on with the ignition and then goes off after a second or so once the engine is running, doesn't actually have to do with the engine management at all...

Just wire it to the oil pressure sensor...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
simon h

posted on 12/2/18 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of these will only be if the vehicle was fitted from new.

DRL for example are not compulsory for IVA but if fitted must comply.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.