Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Wiring / Plumbing Tidiness
mark.silcock

posted on 6/3/19 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Wiring / Plumbing Tidiness

One area I am not so confident on our car is the tidiness under the bonnet.

It's not bad but does rely on cable ties instead of conduit etc.

How do the testers look at this area and any advice on improving?

this is an old photo but it's pretty close in terms of the wires and pipework.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ba9gbTR7rADS77RU6[/img]

[Edited on 6/3/19 by mark.silcock]

theduck

posted on 6/3/19 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Tidier than mine was at IVA
mark.silcock

posted on 6/3/19 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
That's good news! thanks
CTLeeds

posted on 6/3/19 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Looks really good. I'd only be wary of any cable ties holding fuel lines in place. Hopefully they're all properly secured with clips?

Chris

mark.silcock

posted on 6/3/19 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel line is changing to fed from below the carbs so will make sure when that's done that it is secured with clips.

cheers

CTLeeds

posted on 6/3/19 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.silcock
Fuel line is changing to fed from below the carbs so will make sure when that's done that it is secured with clips.

cheers

I used rubber lined P clips for the fuel lines and the IVA man was happy with that.

mark.silcock

posted on 6/3/19 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the tip!
Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/3/19 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds
... I'd only be wary of any cable ties holding fuel lines in place...

Chris

Why woud that be?
As that was my plan... Not only for fuel but for brakes too...

Could you explain?
I am still on time to change that...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CTLeeds

posted on 6/3/19 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:

Chris

Why woud that be?

Could you explain?

Whilst I don't think there is anything specific as to how fuel lines are secured in the IVA manual, personally I wouldn't want fuel lines attached to a chassis with cable ties. They could rub on the chassis and the ties could be over tightened causing restriction. I also read in this guide....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-t o-get-a-pass

that they like all lines be they brake, fuel, electrical to be clipped at 300mm intervals. I personally am not convinced that cable ties can be considered clips so wanted to act to prevent any confusion at my test.

[Edited on 6/3/19 by CTLeeds]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/3/19 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:

Chris

Why woud that be?

Could you explain?

Whilst I don't think there is anything specific as to how fuel lines are secured in the IVA manual, personally I wouldn't want fuel lines attached to a chassis with cable ties. They could rub on the chassis and the ties could be over tightened causing restriction. I also read in this guide....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-t o-get-a-pass

that they like all lines be they brake, fuel, electrical to be clipped at 300mm intervals. I personally am not convinced that cable ties can be considered clips so wanted to act to prevent any confusion at my test.

[Edited on 6/3/19 by CTLeeds]

Thanks.
Unless I find later something more "definitive" I´ll proceed.
I am using Self Adhesive Zip Tie Anchors riveted at smaller intervals.
Longest distance is about 25 cm between Anchors.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 7/3/19 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Self adhesive cable tie bases are not acceptable for IVA they would need To be positive fixing ie fit with rivit..
Angel Acevedo

posted on 8/3/19 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Self adhesive cable tie bases are not acceptable for IVA they would need To be positive fixing ie fit with rivit..

They are riveted, even though I don´t have to comply with IVA.
Riveting them was a no brainer as during installation a couple of them came loose when I had the loom temporarily attached to them to asses routing.
I have one or two with only one rivet but the rest have two 3 mm rivets each.

ste

posted on 8/3/19 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
A few pointers from me;

Firstly, don't have any hoses or wires that can chafe on any part of the chassis. That will fail IVA.

I'm not sure i like the kinks in the oil breather hoses. Kind of defeats the object if the hose has collapsed. Likewise, cable tying two hoses together so they collapse isn't the best way to go.

The knotted wire (white, brown) doesn't look good. If the wire isn't needed, remove it or cut it shorter and terminate it with some insulation.

At the bottom of the picture, you have a tiewrap going over the brake line, this doesn't look good and should be either run under the hose so whatever it is holding is just on the chassis rail

Your fuel hose needs to be printed with its suitability for fuel use, can't see that on the braided line, so get a print out of the spec sheet for it to show the tester. Same thing for the filler hose on the tank.

It also looks more than 300mm between clipping points so needs another support to keep it away from the steering shaft. if the tester can pull the hose over so it touches that it will fail.

The tester won't like you tiewrapping a fuel hose to the oil breather hose. Hoses cannot be allowed to chafe, instant fail, so make sure the fuel hose isn't touching anything. A handy fix for this is to use P-clips, one on each hose facing each other, then bolt the two together. This holds them apart but allows one to support the other.

The fuel hose on the carbs looks like something, maybe a wire is tiewrapped to it. That needs removing.

The steering joint will also need a locking mechanism on the bolt. Either tabs, locking wire, nyloc nut, thats another thing lots of people fail on as the design for these is way before IVA.

Insulation tape on looms is another no-no for the testers. Especially in the engine bay as when it gets warm, the glue melts and it falls off. Use self amalgamating tape in there.

It seems like i'm ripping into you here, but it's way better to fix easy stuff like this now, than after you've failed. Also, the more professional you make it look, the easier the testers go on you. Ask yourself, would Audi do it this way?

[Edited on 8/3/19 by ste]

mark.silcock

posted on 8/3/19 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, that photo is of the unfinished car when we purchased it and you have picked up everything I didnt like about the work under there.

Some issues you pointed out have already been addressed and the rest is on my list to do prior to the test so thanks for the clarification.

Well spotted on the fuel line between the carbs, that was the original builders idea of a return spring holder for the throttle!

[Edited on 8/3/19 by mark.silcock]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.