Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I dependant IVA testing
westf27

posted on 5/9/20 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I dependant IVA testing

Chap was telling me that whilst the DVLSA are coping with covid that IVA testing is being
Carried out by some appointed agents.Anyone know anything about this ?
It's possible this is untrue but thought I would ask as I do need a test.
Haven't had any success in getting through on the phone.
Steve

Deckman001

posted on 5/9/20 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,
As part of the IVA application form you can add details for a “remote test” this is a nominated person by you who is able to carry out the test for them albeit via a mobile phone camera link to the main tester.
Am hoping my local mot testing station will be able to carry out the test for me.
There isn’t anywhere that mentions fees for a remote test though, so I’m hoping it won’t double up the costs !!!

Jason

ianhurley20

posted on 5/9/20 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Its been an aim of DVSA to get rid of the responsibility for IVA testing and farm it out to independants. As far as I am aware this hasn't happened yet. As far as getting through on the phone about an IVA its become almost impossible to get through. A friend paid his fee and submitted paperwork in Feb. No contact about his test but he has tried for hours to get through and has succeeded only 3 times since. The last time 3 weeks ago he was told to submit another (new) form and was told he should have been contacted to tell him so (they hadn't) Form submitted and was told sometime (maybe) October for his IVA.
Kit cars are not seen as a priority at all it seems

steve m

posted on 5/9/20 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I could be wrong, but i thought this third party places was for imports only
as the cars are already roadworthy, but do need a couple of tweaks, as in a fog light, and non flashing brake lights
This was certainly the case when i imported a car from New york, and Holland, a good few years ago

Having been to two IVA, not the newer version SVA, i can not see how an independent garage could test a kit car

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

adithorp

posted on 5/9/20 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Deckman, that won't happen. Your local mot guy would have to have a whole load of extra equipment beyond what's used for MOT. Things like calibrated rolling road for speedo check, certified scales for weight, noise meter, additional foot pressure sensor for brake test, cones/balls/etc for defining edge test areas...

Steve,theres been rumours of IVA testing being privatised in various ways for years. Might happen one day but I wouldn't hold your breath. The extra investment in equipment required rules it out for any temporary covid plan IMO

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

westf27

posted on 5/9/20 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I could be wrong, but i thought this third party places was for imports only
as the cars are already roadworthy, but do need a couple of tweaks, as in a fog light, and non flashing brake lights
This was certainly the case when i imported a car from New york, and Holland, a good few years ago

Having been to two IVA, not the newer version SVA, i can not see how an independent garage could test a kit car

steve

What you say makes good sense and would fit with say an mot tester doing it remotely.

Anyway as a bit of fun lets guess what you imported

From New York it's a Chevy Nova

and
from Holland it's the Daf 44,styled by Michelotti

steve m

posted on 5/9/20 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Anyway as a bit of fun lets guess what you imported

From New York it's a Chevy Nova

and
from Holland it's the Daf 44,styled by Michelotti

Err No........... not even close

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 5/9/20 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Deckman, that won't happen. Your local mot guy would have to have a whole load of extra equipment beyond what's used for MOT. Things like calibrated rolling road for speedo check, certified scales for weight, noise meter, additional foot pressure sensor for brake test, cones/balls/etc for defining edge test areas...

Steve,theres been rumours of IVA testing being privatised in various ways for years. Might happen one day but I wouldn't hold your breath. The extra investment in equipment required rules it out for any temporary covid plan IMO

You may well be right, the Iva application form only says the remote tester only needs a few things like cones, a plumb weight , 5m tape measure and a few other things. There’s no mention of sound testers or brake testing equipment although as an mot testing station, it will have all brake testing equipment and possibly speed reading equipment. The test is done via a mobile phone camera call to the dvsa tester so they can monitor the test and maybe tell the remote tester what to do as it’s meant to be done, there’s even a possible chance they’ll put the phone near the exhaust to read the decibels.

Jason

adithorp

posted on 5/9/20 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see how it could be done with just that stuff. For instance, the IVA brake test is different to an MoT one. They use a pressure sensor between thier shoe and pedal to test at various pressures based on weight of vehicle. Mot centre won't have that or the weigh bridge. No mot station has a set of speed rollers (no brake tester can't do it).
Let us know what reply you get.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

snapper

posted on 5/9/20 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Having been to several SVA’s and IVA’s I certainly don’t think any independents are doing (or should be doing) the type of IVA required for kit cars. I have immense trust in the current IVA testers as it is about safety and not profit.
Fully concur with the comments about the equipment to do an IVA, you would have to have a very similar setup that DVSA have and enough space to do some tests where the tester needs to drive the car, for instance we had a couple of cars where the tester took the car out on the large concrete pan for a brake test when the rollers couldn’t tell whether the fronts or the rests locked first... and other stories from experience.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

gremlin1234

posted on 6/9/20 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
remember there are two types of iva test, normal, and basic

the normal one is mostly paper based...
from iva test manual
"For Normal IVA the onus is on the applicant to provide evidence of compliance. This may be in the form of:
* manufacturer’s markings on the vehicle,
* an EC certificate of conformity for an incomplete or base vehicle and details of the systems approved,
* documentary evidence from the competent authority in the country of origin or the manufacturer,
* submission of a VIN specific test report from an accredited testing authority or a combination of such elements, and
* it may also include a degree of visual examination and practical tests. "

so this may be practicable for remote testing.

but as others have said, the basic (full) iva ie the kit car test, is much more hands on.

[Edited on 6/9/20 by gremlin1234]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.