Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pre SVA pictures for comment
albertz

posted on 6/5/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Pre SVA pictures for comment

I have my SVA test this Wednesday and would very much appreciate your comments on the following photos.

Please let me know if you see anything which is likely to result in a failure, i have a 250 mile each way drive to Aberdeen and dont want to fail on something that could be avoided.

Thanks in advance. Rescued attachment above rear.jpg
Rescued attachment above rear.jpg

albertz

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
photo 2

Rescued attachment back.jpg
Rescued attachment back.jpg

albertz

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
photo 3

Rescued attachment front right.jpg
Rescued attachment front right.jpg

David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very nice!

My only concern would be sharp edges/radii on the centre part of the steering wheel, and the switches just in front of the gearchange (are they nicely rounded?)

Apart from that - nothing obvious.

Good luck,
David

Oh dear - an afterthought - are your front indicators viewable from the correct angles?

[Edited on 6/5/05 by David Jenkins]

albertz

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
photo 4

Rescued attachment front left suspension.jpg
Rescued attachment front left suspension.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I am in the same situation -

The car looks great, but the steering wheel looks to have sharp edges, seatbelt upper mounts similar. Are the rear cover press studs OK?

Have you a picture of the front?

Edited!!
For some reason, I could only see the first post

[Edited on 6/5/05 by Mark Allanson]

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

albertz

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
photo 5

Rescued attachment front right suspension.jpg
Rescued attachment front right suspension.jpg

albertz

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
photo 6

Rescued attachment front low.jpg
Rescued attachment front low.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I lifted my headlamps and indicators by 4" to get the angles of visibility correct for the indicators. They look more like street lamps now! (not for long.....) Rescued attachment Viewing Angles.jpg
Rescued attachment Viewing Angles.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

albertz

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the pictures finished for now, although more can be uploaded once i have got my patience back...

David/Mark you are too quick, some of us dont have broadband yet!!

Regarding the steering wheel, i plan to leave the Momo wheel on and try my luck, i will take the original Toyota wheel with me. The only problem is i cannot drive the car with the Toyota wheel (due to be a lanky streak of misery!), anyway this may be a problem

I am hoping to get a decent (realistic) inspector who realises that some of the SVA mods are likely to be 'short-term'.

The seatbelt mounts i will modify, but i hadn't given much thought to either the switches or the poppers, surely they have radii (spelling?) more than 2.5mm? otherwise i am well and truly fecked.

Please keep the comments coming, i only have a couple of days to rectify any probs. I am planning putting the car through an MOT tomorrow to see what that throws up, been trying to bed the brakes in tonight, until it started hailing

Edit: The covers over the coilovers are courtesy of Northy, thank-you very much, i got them tonight, just the job.

[Edited on 6/5/05 by albertz]

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I am going to make a crash pad for my astrali wheel. A bit of hippy roll, some vinyl and a bit of velcro - might even stamp SRS on it for a laugh

JoelP

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate. excellent looking car

all i can think of is the little clip that holds the gaitor on the steering rack (radii), and im not sure if silencers need heat shields? worth checking anyway

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Wadders

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Your going to need some more clips on that wiring Mark
carlgeldard

posted on 6/5/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
There's not much wrong with that mate. But one thing I would say because It happened to me the other week,is that centre mirror above the dash may need moving. I mounted mine in the centre and the inspector asked me if I could move it about 2 inch's to the left to give a better view passed the driver shoulder.

Carl

David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
One final comment - don't forget the bullsh*t factor - it's a good-looking car, you've obviously put a lot of effort into it, so the tester is likely to be on your side. Encourage him in this view by giving the car a damn good clean, polish, shine, whatever. Make sure that everything is neat and tidy, wiring is secured, and so on.
It might be worth taking another picture - inside the bonnet area. let everyone judge the wiring layout and so on, as you might get some more useful coments.
The big thing is, DON'T PANIC! The car looks good, you've obviously paid attention to the regs (well, mostly) and it's clear that you care about your car. First impressions are very important with the testers, so you'll be starting on the right foot. They may find problems, but you've made a good start.
In the end, I found that the Chelmsford tester was a good guy - he really gave it a good looking over, but he wasn't "out to get me".
Don't forget to take a bag full of tools, tie-wraps, tape, Haynes manual, whatever, so if he finds anything you have a good chance of fixing it while you're there (my tester found 5 or 6 problems, but they were fixed on the spot).

Good luck!
David

DEAN C.

posted on 6/5/05 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good to me mate.
I'm just about to book my SVA so i'm in the same boat so to speak.
Good luck!
Dean ............

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

zetec

posted on 7/5/05 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good. I might be wrong but might be worth putting something over the headlamp mounting nuts.

How about treating those uprights to a lick of paint, would make all the difference. As said if the tester is dazzled by the finish he may be less likely to go looking for faults.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Dave Ashurst

posted on 7/5/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Looking very good.

I second what everyone else said, especially the steering wheel edges which are probably a fail. I'd do something like Mark suggests and make a neat cover for the wheel centre, of foam and vinyl or perhaps a neoprene sock style, that wraps round and connects to itself with velcro or a zip at the back.

Also don't forget you need to mitigate sharp edges that can contact knees under the dash. Is that a raw GRP edge under the dash on the passenger side in your first photo? Probably not, judging by the nice detail of the rest.

good luck,
Dave

Marcus

posted on 7/5/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Check radius on front edge of exhaust silencer, and your aeroscreen looks a little too tall. I'd take it off for the test just in case.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 7/5/05 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd check the radiuses of the highlighted things in this picture. Also your seatbelt mountings. If you can put some trim on them then I would. Goes for every other part you could get some trim on.

Tires look good on the shocks! Rescued attachment front.jpg
Rescued attachment front.jpg

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DavidM

posted on 7/5/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
It would be worth cheking the position of the front indicators, they look too far back to meet horizontal angles of visibility. According to my manual they should be visible horizontally at an angle of 80 degrees from the outer side and 45 degrees when looking across the front of the car.

Bloody fine looking car by the way.

Hope all goes well for you.

David

Proportion is Everything

Jonr

posted on 9/5/05 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck for wed! Eager to see how you get on as I will have to get an SVA in Aberdeen (though the inspectors you get will have retired by the time I get round to it.
Mark Allanson

posted on 11/5/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Albertz, how did you get on? Come on, we want the whole story!

rusty nuts

posted on 11/5/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's very quite ??
Mark Allanson

posted on 11/5/05 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
He did say it was a 250 mile trip, on the way back perhaps?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.