Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear lights "verticality"
Humbug

posted on 19/6/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Rear lights "verticality"

I took the plunge today and cut out holes on the back panel for my lights - I decided to do something different from the usual wing mounting (and yes, they are less than 400mm from the outsid edge of the wings).

One question though - I would prefer them to be flush with the rear panel for aesthetic reasons, but I am not sure about SVA? I have rread the manual but it seems a little vague. The attached pic shows the lights flush with the panel, and angled out to be more or less vertical.

Any thoughts? Rescued attachment Rear lights.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear lights.jpg

indykid

posted on 19/6/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
afaik, only fog and reverse need to be vertical, and reverse is optional, but if present must be vertical.

all the rest can be the same angle as the panel, i.e flush, just as long as they're visible. if in doubt, first fix for the sva, then put them back flush.

hth
tom

Avoneer

posted on 19/6/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC, they have to be as near verical as possible.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 19/6/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure only the rear fog has to be vertical.

None of my lights were but I only had to change the fog to get through

Cheers

Mark

givemethebighammer

posted on 19/6/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mine went through Derby SVA like this. Nothing even mentioned. Rescued attachment rear.jpg
Rescued attachment rear.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 20/6/05 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Just Fog and Reverse as stated.

Looking good

DorsetStrider

posted on 20/6/05 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a look at the manual and my understanding of it is that only the rear fog and reverse (if equiped) have to be vertical.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

indykid

posted on 20/6/05 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
looking at it again, as you have reverse lights in the bottom of both lamps, yes, they need to be vertical, at least for sva.

tom

Humbug

posted on 20/6/05 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
looking at it again, as you have reverse lights in the bottom of both lamps, yes, they need to be vertical, at least for sva.

tom

Seems to be some difference of opinion on this one!

indykid, Hellfire, Avoneer - do you know where in the manual it says that the reversing lamps need to be vertical? Since I would rather avoid having to muck about with the lights once they are fixed in place.

I have just looked in the manual again, and all I could find was:

Section 9.1, para 10: fog lamps must be "fitted such that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear" - which I assume means it must be "vertical"

Section 9.2 Annex Requirements for optional lamps, includes for reversing lamps: "Directed to the rear". Nothing about "facing squarely to the rear"

Section 9.1 Annex 6 defines "to the rear" as being 15 degrees either side of the centre line with no mention of vertical alignment.

Anyone else - had any problems with reversing lamps not being vertical (as opposed to fog lamps)?

wicket

posted on 20/6/05 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Humbug

How wide are your rear wings ?
Do the light clusters come within the 400mm max distance for the extreme outer edge of the vehicle, see 9.1 para 2 Note 1

Humbug

posted on 20/6/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wicket
Humbug

How wide are your rear wings ?
Do the light clusters come within the 400mm max distance for the extreme outer edge of the vehicle, see 9.1 para 2 Note 1

Hi Wicket

As per my first post, the lights are less than 400mm from the outer edge of the wings. The wings themselves are 24cm wide (about 9.5 inches in old money) and the lights are 36cm from the outer edges of the wings, so I should be OK.

Hellfire

posted on 20/6/05 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
My reading of the manual skated around the reversing light issue as we don't have one. If you state the rules as they are written then I would agree that the reversing light does not need to be vertical.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.