Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet while driving ?
mike-ktm

posted on 31/7/05 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet while driving ?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I've done a search and can't find what I'm after.

Whats the law regarding wearing a crash helmet while driving a car ? locoblade with no screen - due to pick it up at the end of the week, and have a 90 min drive home including some motorway/dual carraige way etc.

Thanks,

Mike

Snuggs

posted on 31/7/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
No regulations at all AFAIK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

David Jenkins

posted on 31/7/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I do this all the time - and have been seen by many traffic police!

Without a screen of any sort a helmet is essential... bees hurt at 70mph! It's also a lot more comfortable, as you can see and breathe, which is always useful while driving.

I now have a pair of 'Brooklands' type screens, and they allow me to drive reasonably well without a helmet, but it gets tiring after a while, plus it's also disconcerting to hear gravel pinging off my roll bar a few inches from my head...

David

[Edited on 31/7/05 by David Jenkins]

JoelP

posted on 31/7/05 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
ive just got in from driving about 300 miles in a 7. The helmet is essential IMHO! Both for noise and wind/stones/flys. As you turn a corner stones are lifted by the wheels, some into your face! Not fun. Plus it gives you the confidence to keep you eyes open, without it you would be squinting all the time My ears are still ringing now, even with a helmet! thats one loud engine...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 31/7/05 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Have you come from Bigbrig Lasgows in it Joel? It's not only stones that get lifted by the wheels, you get cowsh!t and everything on the roads round here .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

niceperson709

posted on 1/8/05 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
Personally i find a full face helmet very clostophobic but there are some quite good open face helmets with an intergral flip up visor (nolan make a good one at avery rasonable price) and it is this style I use on myy bike and I think this would be good in a seven eye protection with out feeling like you are going deep sea diving
Best wishes
Iain
I have always found that helmets do not help that much with noise a good set of ear plugs recomended

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

indykid

posted on 1/8/05 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
when i got back from newark, i was nearly deaf!

a helmet makes exhaust and road noise ten times louder than without, but i'd not want to wear ear plugs for fear of not being able to hear.
and as for claustrophobic, try wearing a XXL helmet when your head is really XXL and a bit

so definitely a helmet for motorway driving, but you'd get away quite happily with a decent pair of sports sunglasses, like oakley m frames, or the bloc versions for up to about 60, and bursts up to about 85 (any more and the lenses start to shake quite violently) and they have interchangeable lenses, so you can use them at night too.

hth
tom Rescued attachment oakley__m_frame_strike__smoke__black_iridium.jpg
Rescued attachment oakley__m_frame_strike__smoke__black_iridium.jpg

Guinness

posted on 1/8/05 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
David

Are you sure that helmet doesn't produce lift at speed??

prop-chimp
prop-chimp

Cheers Mike

David Jenkins

posted on 1/8/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Not if I keep my chin down - it adds to the thrust!

DJ

Dillinger1977

posted on 1/8/05 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
has anyone tried a paintball mask?

goggles, frontal protection from stones, and open at the back and top for a bit of fresh air.
of course, its going to be even louder..

-Rog

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 1/8/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
They just arrested two guys in Edinburgh for driving round in SKI masks! They were causing a few people alarm so I think thats why they got lifted. Could be funny if a copper stops you in a paint ball mask.

mike-ktm

posted on 1/8/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys, much help. I've got my oakleys at hand, and will take my lid just in case it gets unbearable !!

Can't wait to pick it up now

James

posted on 3/8/05 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I really don't think that a regular pair of sunglasses is up to the job of protecting you.

We've all seen what a stone does to your windscreen when it hits- a dirty great chip!
Imagine that in your eye!

Jasper knows someone who had a tooth knocked out by a stone.

My uncle had his glasses smashed in his face whilst playing squash years ago and his eyes have never been right since- he still has bits of glass removed every so often!

We all know how important it is to wear proper goggles when drilling/grinding. Last thing I want it to hear that someone's lost an eye when out on a run.

Fozzie has bought a couple of pairs of nice looking mirrored glasses that look like regular ones but they're actually workshop goggles and therefore presumably designed for high velocity impact.

Maybe the years of self-abuse has damaged your eye-sight so much it won't make much difference but until I have a windscreen I fully intend to wear safety goggles for low speed runs and a helmet for anything above that.

Your eyes are too important to risk!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

john_p_b

posted on 3/8/05 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
i had my shades on today when i took it to the garage (it's only just down the road) 30mph and the winds straight in my eyes could hardly see a bloody thing!

crash helmet all the way for me when i'm road legal!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.