Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Historic vehicle status
caber

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Historic vehicle status

Has anyone managed to get historic vehicle licence class for a recently built locost using a pre 73 doner?

Caber

iank

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Historic status is supposed to stick with the chassis (or one manufactured to exactly the same specifications).

So unless you use an original lotus 7 as a donor and do some very snappy talking I don't think it's possible.

lsdweb

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is on a hstoric 1972 plate but it's not a recent car - honestly!
mark chandler

posted on 13/10/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
You can change chassis and keep the number... They work on the value of the sum of the parts from a single donor to determin age.

Idealy use everything except for the chassis, then get DVLA to inspect your new vehicle alongside the old shell with lots of photo's showing the migration.

I'm not sure of the scroring, something like 5 points for engine, three for gearbox, three for axle etc, when all added up if the exceed a threshold you keep the plate. Most useful as I would hazard a guess no need to SVA. Loads of cobras are registered as heralds...

stevebubs

posted on 13/10/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
You can change chassis and keep the number... They work on the value of the sum of the parts from a single donor to determin age.

Idealy use everything except for the chassis, then get DVLA to inspect your new vehicle alongside the old shell with lots of photo's showing the migration.

I'm not sure of the scroring, something like 5 points for engine, three for gearbox, three for axle etc, when all added up if the exceed a threshold you keep the plate. Most useful as I would hazard a guess no need to SVA. Loads of cobras are registered as heralds...

Think you lose the tax exempt status nowadays though - even if your donor was pre-73

iank

posted on 13/10/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

Think you lose the tax exempt status nowadays though - even if your donor was pre-73

That's my understanding of the rules. The historic (tax exempt) status stays with the scrapped chassis, unless you replace it with a new replica chassis - to keep the classic car guys quiet.

The age related registration you can keep with the points system.

Found a ref:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consult/veh_inspec/vi_kitconvers.htm

para 63

[Edited on 13/10/05 by iank]

RoadkillUK

posted on 14/10/05 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
If you take a car and chop it up, then you build/buy a chassis that is nothing like the original, then you fit bodywork that is also nothing like the original.

In fact, all you are using from the original 'historic' car is the engine, gearbox and maybe the back axle, I'd say that it's kinda lost it's 'historic' status

IMO of course.

Also, keeping the plate is very unlikely, if you score enough points then you will keep the 'year' but you will be issued a new and unused plate.

HTH

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 14/10/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any particular problem with a Q plate these days?

Caber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.