Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash Rolled bottom
Dave Bailey

posted on 3/10/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dash Rolled bottom

Hi!,
I have the old Luego flat Carbon (effect) dash and have been reading that the bottom needs to have a 180 degree radius for SVA.....Is this true or can I just put a bit of lagging on it to get it through the SVA then let the wind blow it off?

thanks
Dave Bailey.

nludkin

posted on 3/10/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately lagging won't work as it's not considered rigid enough or permament enough.

I used some heater hose, cut down the middle and glued it onto the edge of the dash, then covered it in vinyl for good measure. Passed first time...

Lots of glue and it would be permanent, however it would be difficult to blow off after

keith2lp

posted on 3/10/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Dash

Hi

I put a rubber u section with about a 8mm radius on mine.

The SVA manual states that if it is not a 19mm radius it must be at least a 5mm radius and made of a deformable material.

I think the hardness spec is 50 shore.

I passed at Southampton with this without any comment from the tester.

Hope this helps

Keith

02GF74

posted on 3/10/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I think the question is about this:

dash lower edge
dash lower edge

without studying the SVA manual I reckon the one on the left is ok but the radius needs to be 19 mm.

if you are able to make the edge like that on the right, that would be much better as you are less likely to amputate your legs - the SVA is a pain in the butt and some parts are just plain stupid but there is usually some logic behind it even it is somewhat flawed.

now lets' wait for someone to say I am totally wrong ......

twybrow

posted on 3/10/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have cast aside my perfectly good flat carbon dash and am in the process of making a mould to make another with a ~19mm radius along the bottom edge. I am aiming to manufacture somewhere between the two images above, and use edging along the cut edge. I agree this is an area that would make sense in terms of safety.

It sounds rather subjective as to what will pass and what wont, but i would always be cautious and OTT rather than have a retest for something silly!

DarrenW

posted on 3/10/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
As above i dont believe it needs to be 180deg but must be 19mm rad if solid or 5mm deformable to pass (see manual for definition of deformable - something like you have to be able to push thumb into it with reasonable force but not too much so that you cant feel the hard surface underneath iirc - hence the 50 shore reference above, although other similar shores may also be OK.)

twybrow

posted on 3/10/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
My interpretation was that if you have a deformable adash, then you can have a 5mm deformable radius. If you have a solid dash, you must have 19mm radius. Other people seem to have passed with a combination of both...

coozer

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Would a piece of tinpot door or boot seal pushed onto the edge be considered deformable and OK for SVA?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.