Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seatbelts seats and sva.
Danozeman

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
seatbelts seats and sva.

Will my harnesses pass sva like this or will they have to be mounted higher. Bearing in mind my shoulders are higher than th back of the seat.

seat belts
seat belts

seat belts2
seat belts2

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

russbost

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
That your shoulders are higher than the seat belt anchor point is irrelevant, they put a block approx 4" (can't remember eact size) on the seat base & you have to have 450mm (IIRC) to the seat belt point. Sometimes removing the seat squab will acheive this.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
there are two answers,

legally the harness has to be higher than a fixed height from your seat.

seriously, they have to be a little lower than your shoulders - say 1 or 2". Too low and you risk breaking your back in a crash due to your body being thrown forward and the belts forcing your spine to compress.

OBviously you're never going to crash the car, but there are some muppets around who may crash into you.

You make your choice. Personally i'd buy some 2mm or 3mm box and weld it in to your roll bars with the seat belt mounts on them (and make sure the roll bars are braced backwards).

BenB

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I reckon that'd fail. Then again at my SVA test they were happy for me to just use extra long bolts with a bit of steel tube between the harness and the captive nut to "raise" the harness up higher......
Dusty

posted on 1/10/08 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure that's a fail. Test dimensions as in the pic. Rescued attachment seatbeltmount.jpg
Rescued attachment seatbeltmount.jpg

02GF74

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
and the book version:
annex4
annex4

Triton

posted on 2/10/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
You see if you have 'glass seats you don't have that problem as all but sat on the floor..

Cheers,
Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 2/10/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
so is the anchorage point the centre of an eye bolt if that's what is fitted or the base of the eye bolt where it meets the chassis?

Thanks
Nigel

mad-butcher

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Common sense would say from the centre of the eye bolt hole, as that would be the point it would be when worn, but when does common sense go with rules, so I'd go with were the eye bolt joins the fixing tube.
slightly off topic, but by nature of the shape of the MK F/glass seat, I can get as much as 25mm difference by moving the block, does anyone know what point of this style seat they put the block on

Tony

[Edited on 2/10/08 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wicket

posted on 2/10/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
The measurement is taken from the top edge of the block on the seat horizontal centre line.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.