Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Extending sump and baffling - how's this?
Jesus-Ninja

posted on 24/10/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Extending sump and baffling - how's this?

The sump on my saab engine fouls the chassis rail, so I'm taking a piece out of it. I'm putting some volume back in by extending the other side. Hopefully the pics below will make it clear! I've drilled holes between the existing pick up area and the new extension wing, on the premise that the levels will be able to remain constant as hot oil is pretty thin, but they should prevent surge to one side.

First the piece I removed:

The, the place i will be putting the extension wing.

Suspension geometry tool here >>> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81376

omega0684

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
how did you get such a clean cut in pictures 2 & 3?

[Edited on 24/10/08 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jesus-Ninja

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
how did you get such a clean cut in pictures 2 & 3?

[Edited on 24/10/08 by omega0684]

I used a 0.8mm cutting disc and then ran a flat file around it. I was very pleased with the finish, if I'm honest, although it won't really matter once the plates are welded in!

Suspension geometry tool here >>> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81376

Ivan

posted on 25/10/08 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think you cut out enough volume to warrant all the trouble you've gone to to extend it - but what you've done looks great except that the baffle holes look a bit small and I think you might be creating a sludge trap that will soon block them all.

So - I would go for fewer but bigger holes in the baffle.

Jesus-Ninja

posted on 25/10/08 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I don't think you cut out enough volume to warrant all the trouble you've gone to to extend it - but what you've done looks great except that the baffle holes look a bit small and I think you might be creating a sludge trap that will soon block them all.

So - I would go for fewer but bigger holes in the baffle.

Hmm, OK, so maybe enlarge a few of them, I was thinking if I had to, that the lower holes would be the best candidates for enlargement. What do you think?

Or perhaps If I didn't extend the sump as far as I'm proposing, I could ditch the holes all together, and just open it up?

I was trying to get some more volume in, and then a bit more, to help with cooling (oil gets pumped round less) and oil quality (gets contaminated less quickly)

[Edited on 25/10/08 by Jesus-Ninja]

nitram38

posted on 25/10/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Your biggest worry is with distortion/cracking from the welding afterwards, especially if it is a poor grade aluminium that it is made from.

djtom

posted on 25/10/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
The biggest problem I've had with mine (Zetec sump cut down and baffled to my design) which was welded up by a very kind member from this forum is that the sump is made out of such crappy aluminium that welding it cleanly is very hard to do and the welds have a tendency to go porous. Which is bloody annoying when it drips oil slowly over the garage floor. Even after attacking it with the TIG 3 times now it still drips a bit.....

Oh yeah, make sure you screw it to a flat plank of wood before welding it up otherwise you'll be amazed by how much it distorts the sump flange! (voice of bitter experience!)

Still, much better than paying £300 for a raceline one!

[Edited on 25/10/08 by djtom]

Jesus-Ninja

posted on 25/10/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
The biggest problem I've had with mine (Zetec sump cut down and baffled to my design) which was welded up by a very kind member from this forum is that the sump is made out of such crappy aluminium that welding it cleanly is very hard to do and the welds have a tendency to go porous. Which is bloody annoying when it drips oil slowly over the garage floor. Even after attacking it with the TIG 3 times now it still drips a bit.....

Oh yeah, make sure you screw it to a flat plank of wood before welding it up otherwise you'll be amazed by how much it distorts the sump flange! (voice of bitter experience!)

Still, much better than paying £300 for a raceline one!

[Edited on 25/10/08 by djtom]

Good points I'll be having it professionally welded. I don't have tig, and I'm not about to start cutting my teeth mig welding ally on my sump!

Is there anything I can coat the inside of it with, after welding, that will resist oil and temps, and give a nice plastic / rubber lining?

clairetoo

posted on 25/10/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
There's just one problem I can see with the way you are doing that baffle - with that much `flow` through all those hole's , you may find all the oil disappearing into the new space , leaving none around the oil pick-up during hard driving .
When I shorten and extend a sump . I leave just a very small opening right at the bottom to allow the oil to circulate , but not large enough the let a large amount of oil to `surge` through into the new space .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Jesus-Ninja

posted on 26/10/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
There's just one problem I can see with the way you are doing that baffle - with that much `flow` through all those hole's , you may find all the oil disappearing into the new space , leaving none around the oil pick-up during hard driving .
When I shorten and extend a sump . I leave just a very small opening right at the bottom to allow the oil to circulate , but not large enough the let a large amount of oil to `surge` through into the new space .

Thanks Claire

I've had to take another slice out of it, and I think I'm going to add back on the other side, just what I took out, both in volume and "shape", so oil surge issues shouldn't be any worse. I'll look to take on your advice though - put a slot along the bottom and close off the holes to improve it further.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.