Board logo

zx9r engine pickup problem?
westindy - 11/4/07 at 07:22 PM

My 98 zx9r indy is not running right it will rev standing no problem but will struggle under load to pull beyond 7k, it was running ok. I've changed the fuel pump, plugs, ecu but no joy any ideas? It almost feels like a fuel starvation problem!
Help!!!

Rgds, Paul

jacko - 11/4/07 at 07:35 PM

Hi i don,t know about bike engines but is it blocked fuel filter , is it like it is on choke ? [ is it on carbs or fi ]

westindy - 11/4/07 at 07:46 PM

Its carb version and filter was replaced when I tried a different fuel pump!.

asn163 - 11/4/07 at 08:11 PM

Hi,

Have you tried another voltage regulator/rectifier?

We had similar probs. with our blade engine. I thought it was a fuelling problem but it turned out to be the regulator.

One quick check is to see what voltage you are getting across the battery with the engine running and see if this is higher than the spec. max. If it is then the regulator is faulty.

Simon

russbost - 11/4/07 at 09:39 PM

If you haven't got the airbox sealed to the carbs or have changed the airbox in any way or have air leaking into it will make it run like a bag of sh*t, very very weak, no pickup on throttle

G.Man - 12/4/07 at 03:50 AM

have u checked mixture? what about HT leads?

westindy - 13/4/07 at 05:31 PM

Tried a new rectifier/regulator today with no change, driving me mad!!
Best try HT coils then carbs? what do you reckon?

Minicooper - 12/6/07 at 02:55 PM

Strange it was okay, but does sound like mixture I would get it on the rolling road to see whats happening, even minor changes to the air filter can dramatically change how it runs, for instance my mate changed his R1 TTS filter to a conventional air filter from the bike in order to make it quieter, ran very poorly, but it did make it quieter

Cheers
David

Minicooper - 12/6/07 at 03:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
Strange it was okay, but does sound like mixture I would get it on the rolling road to see whats happening, even minor changes to the air filter can dramatically change how it runs, for instance my mate changed his R1 TTS filter to a conventional air filter from the bike in order to make it quieter, ran very poorly, but it did make it quieter

Cheers
David

Whoops two months late, nevermind

Cheers
David