Board logo

Handbrake help
martin62 - 10/4/18 at 08:56 PM

Trying to fit Hand brake and cable saw a picture on here recently but cant seem to find it,any help appreciated.

nick205 - 11/4/18 at 08:13 AM

What brakes and handbrake setup are you using?

Others may have used the same parts and be able to advise on how they did it.

martin62 - 11/4/18 at 09:06 AM

Sorry about that. I am using Sierra Handbrake and cable, just trying to figure out how to attach the cable to the Handbrake and still have have some adjustment

Slater - 11/4/18 at 10:34 AM

Does this pic help?

Cable was cut and rejoined using 2 x U clamps. Also can adjust length with plastic nut on the outer sheath which is butted up against the rear bulkhead. I will search for a pic of that too.

[img] handbrake details 123
handbrake details 123
[/img]

ETA found the pic of the plastic nut adjuster...

[img] handbrake adjustment 321
handbrake adjustment 321
[/img]

[Edited on 11-4-18 by Slater]
[img] hb adj  1234
hb adj 1234
[/img]

[Edited on 11-4-18 by Slater]

nick205 - 11/4/18 at 03:20 PM

Same setup on my MK Indy. I did shorten the cable and clamp it back together with a drilled bolt (passed SVA fine like this as well):

[Edited on 11/4/18 by nick205]

big-vee-twin - 11/4/18 at 08:06 PM

I have overall adjustment in the middle with left right balance on the two outer adjusters

[img] Fully adjustable handbrake
Fully adjustable handbrake
[/img]

martin62 - 11/4/18 at 08:34 PM

Thanks for all the help hope to attack it tomorrow.

Angel Acevedo - 12/4/18 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Same setup on my MK Indy. I did shorten the cable and clamp it back together with a drilled bolt (passed SVA fine like this as well):

Nyloc nuts require a couple of threads showing, Not that it would matter as once the nut undoes a little the pressure on the cable is released.
A better method would be threadlock (Although I am sure considering the tidyness of your build that you did so)

nick205 - 13/4/18 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Nyloc nuts require a couple of threads showing, Not that it would matter as once the nut undoes a little the pressure on the cable is released.
A better method would be threadlock (Although I am sure considering the tidyness of your build that you did so)

You're correct nylon lock nuts should have 2-3 threads of the bolt proud of the nylon section. Probably not the best photo to have shown, but the one that was in my archive. IIRC I fitted a shallower nylon locknut in the actual build prior to the SVA inspection.