Board logo

Interior measurments for tall folks
Dale - 4/1/06 at 01:53 AM

I have spent a few of the last days trying to figure out my seats. I have a fair bit of cockpit space and would be good if I could afford some fancy new seats - not an option as the car is a very budget deal-My wife is going to Teachers college now and cash is gone.-
I have seats made up out of plywood that fit in nicely and I added a bit of recline to the seat that gives it around 20 deg tilt back and reasonable side support. they are on mgb seat sliders.
In doing this I have lost 5 inches from the rear bulkhead to the front side of the seat back cushion at the tail bone.
This gives me 51 inches to the drivers firewall from the seat back which should be more than enough. The seat cushion is 21 inches long to give suport to my thighs and I dont want to shorten that if I dont have to I have to have my knees bent a certain amount to give me leg room.( 6'4" 35" inseam)
Unfortunatly this puts the steering wheel only 2 inches infront of the seat and hitting my lower thigh when using the clutch. I can gain 2 inches by going to a smaller steering wheel and If I use a removable steering wheel it woud bring it closer to me while not being in the way when entering /getting out.
Can someone tall- tell me how high off the floor of the car the center of there steering wheel is and the distance from the seat back to the wheel center and the hight of the front of there seat and if the wheel if infront of the seat or inline ect.
Thanks alot
Dale

Dale - 4/1/06 at 12:24 PM

This will make it short and sweeter. How high is the front and back of your seat from the floor?- (bottom skin of floor) and how high is the center of the steering wheel? If you dont mind please.
Thanks
Dale

02GF74 - 4/1/06 at 12:45 PM

I not sure how knowing these measurement's is going to help you.

ultimatly you need to muck about getting the car to fit around you.

options as you have considered are rasising the steering wheel colum for leg clearance; fitting smaller diameter steering whee. (but remeber for each inch reduction you gain 1/2 inch in space). Also fitting a flat bottom steering wheel.

What you you need to do is to lower your keep your hips further back so reduce thickness of seat back and keep it a low as poosible.

Do the runners take us space? If so, bolt seatto floor - you are not going to adjust it anyway.

Dale - 4/1/06 at 12:53 PM

I know its alot of screwing around and time- Its the 3rd seat type I have worked with trying in it. Unfortunately my wife is more than a foot shorter than me and I want her to be able to drive as well so the runners are a must. They take up one inch in height. I am just trying to get some generalization of what works for people and seeing if what I am working at is just wasting more of my time.
Thanks

[Edited on 4/1/06 by Dale]

davew823 - 4/1/06 at 09:09 PM

Dale

The easiest option if you are making the seats using the book design on plywood, is to make two different size seats. The one seat would fit you and the 2nd your wife. just swap sides when your wife wants to drive.

Grintch - 6/1/06 at 02:59 AM

OK Dale, I'm 6'4" too (34" inseam, 36" sleeves).

Steering wheel height - 20.5"
Distance from seatback (10 deg layback Kirkey aluminum) - 29.5"
Seat front to wheel - 6.5" (I could use a longer seat pan to support my long legs)
Height of seat front - 1.5" (no padding - makes the seat too narrow for my hips).

I am using a 11.5" diameter steering wheel with a quick release. I had a 13" originally but needed more knee room. A 12" would probably work but the 15" MGB wheel is out of the question.

Have you figured out what you are doing for your rear fenders yet?

Bruce F.

[Edited on 6/1/06 by Grintch]

[Edited on 6/1/06 by Grintch]

Dale - 6/1/06 at 03:43 PM

Thanks that helps a fair bit. I trial fit the seat cusions that were on the mgb seats I have and its a pretty good fit and a bit lower but still not enough thigh support. I think I can add a bit of foam to the front bolster and it will work. Some slight modification to the seat back and I may be in business. Hopefully I will have a perminant solution by the end of the weekend. And then just have to cover them.

I think Iam going to have to make custom rear fenders, something similar to the mga rear wings but wider.

I may have a go at making my mgb steering wheel smaller to test with. Maybe a 13 inch flattend bottom wheel.
How much back did it make your wheel move when you installed the removable hub?

Dale

[Edited on 6/1/06 by Dale]

Grintch - 6/1/06 at 08:16 PM

Had the quick release hub from the begining, so it was built in to the fitting of the steering column. When I switched to the smaller wheel I got the same brand so it just bolted up in place of the 13" wheel.

I helps with getting in and out a good deal, I would strongly recommend using one.

02GF74 - 10/1/06 at 03:37 PM

Did some measurements; [img][/img]

I'm 6ft, inside leg 33/34 inch.
Pic show thickness of seat and distances to centre of steering wheel.

At the moment I am messing about moving the steering wheel (11 inch); I have a mountney 2 part boss, one part I am gonna modify to move steering wheel away from me (it was right where my knees were) then I will try to raise it by about 1 inch for mmore room & allow me to see instruments behind it.

Again depend on what the problem is - my kneess were interfering wth the wheel so I moved it away from me and up - you need to figure your solution.

I cannnot move seat further back whcih would hahve dropped my knees a bit henve my previous response, not helpful I guess, abouot messing about with what you have and make it fit you best.