Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vauxhall carlton/senator donor?
dashin_dave

posted on 3/9/02 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
vauxhall carlton/senator donor?

has anyone tried to use one of these??
alternately, can anyone tell me what sort of rear suspension/diff setup they have and if there hubs would be usable ect?

marcjagman

posted on 3/9/02 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
You could use either but you would be better with the Senator back end as it would be easier to fit.
dashin_dave

posted on 4/9/02 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
thanks, is the senator irs?
i'd guess there would be an issue with widening/hieght ect to jam in a v6?
hmm... anyone got any ideas how much it'd cost to INSURE a v6 powered locost?

Liam

posted on 4/9/02 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hello...

Carlton/Senator would be straight six - so length may be tight. And yeah it's probably high.

Yep they have IRS but it all looks very big and beefy if memory serves - dunno if you'd be able to remove the rear bearing carriers like you can on a Sierra so you can use them to make uprights dead easily. You have to cut and shut the rear prop anyway, so it would be just as easy to have the vauxall joint at the gearbox end and a sierra fitting at the other end - then you can use the tried and tested Sierra IRS.

As a guide to insurance, I got a prospective quote ages ago for my work-in-progress locost with a 2.7 V6. They reckoned about 550 quid and thats with me being 23 and having no no-claims bonus. Not too bad.

Hope that helps.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ewanspence

posted on 5/9/02 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I got a quote for my Ford v6 4x4 and it was £150 fully comp for 5k miles limited. This was as a third car but I'm in the (No longer classed as a boy racer" age group.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dashin_dave

posted on 5/9/02 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
550 for a 2.7v6?? was that with limited milage? who was that quote through??
i havnt rang around for quotes yet myself, but was starting to think i'd have to put a mower engine in to get a reasonable quote since the only figures i had were from the robin hood catalogue, and it was advertised there from one of the insurance mobs that a 20yo with no no claims could insure a 1600cc for 950... i'm also 23 with no no claims, but only have just been issued a UK license, as i've only just moved here..

Liam

posted on 5/9/02 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Can't quite remember but I think that was as a second car with about 5000 miles. It was with Adrian Flux (who also insure my regular car). I'd heard about Footman James but they wont touch you until you're 25 if you have anything over a 1600. Cant remember whether it was TPFT or fully comp but there wasn't much difference I dont think. I could say I'd been driving for 5 years so that may have helped keep it down.

Dunno bout mower engines, but what about Bike engines. My 22 year old mate was paying under 150 cos he had a 900cc ZX9R engine in his!!

Give Adrian flux a call and see what they say - they have a website with their no. They are familiar with Locosts and may give you a good deal.

Liam

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/9/02 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hello...

Carlton/Senator would be straight six - so length may be tight. And yeah it's probably high.

Yep they have IRS but it all looks very big and beefy if memory serves - dunno if you'd be able to remove the rear bearing carriers like you can on a Sierra so you can use them to make uprights dead easily. You have to cut and shut the rear prop anyway, so it would be just as easy to have the vauxall joint at the gearbox end and a sierra fitting at the other end - then you can use the tried and tested Sierra IRS.

As a guide to insurance, I got a prospective quote ages ago for my work-in-progress locost with a 2.7 V6. They reckoned about 550 quid and thats with me being 23 and having no no-claims bonus. Not too bad.

Hope that helps.

Liam

thats an obscene quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 43, have two small accidents in last 3 years, 1 speeding and 1 im not gonna admit speeding, and no no claims cos i have a co car.

My quote for a 2.4 L cologne at 3k a year, 6,000 quid valuation was 320 from footman james and 229 from backford bloor and co. Both fully comp.

my xjs v12 was about 400 quid 5k miles, comp.

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.