Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering Wheels - who has what..
avagolen

posted on 30/1/17 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Steering Wheels - who has what..

Hi one and all.

Question about steering wheels. What are you using?

Time to upgrade from my Sierra 15inch donor wheel.

Thinking of a Mota Lita 14inch mark 4 flat wheel. ( maybe a mark 5 ....)

Not really locost but concerned about cheep ones.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

matt5964

posted on 30/1/17 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I use a mono team 280

It has a really good feel and being off set allows extra leg room and fast steaming response

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 30/1/17 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I had a caterham momo 280 leather wheel on my last striker really nice
Rosco86

posted on 30/1/17 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ive gor one of these

Spa 270mm, well happy and the quality seems good

http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/Product/Steering%20Wheel%20270mm%20-%20Black%20Suede

My Build Thread

Nickp

posted on 30/1/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just bought this cheapo one (£24!!) from CBS, basically to try for size before I commit to a decent one.

I was going to try it on the road but it's that flimsy I don't know if I dare!!

Deffo not recommended!!

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/300mm-steering-wheel-black-spokes

Banana

posted on 30/1/17 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a basically brand new 300mm OMP.

I fancy something smaller though- if anyone wants a swap?

daniel mason

posted on 30/1/17 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I use momo 12c
motivforz

posted on 31/1/17 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I had a moto lita in my triumph herald and it was great to hold and looks right in that kind of car. Quite a large diameter though in order to make the heavy steering load easier. Because I'm quite tall and generally cockpit space is limited in kits, I would be concerned about a smaller diameter one and putting the load in comfortably. The rim is quite narrow and larger rims are easier to grip.
russbost

posted on 31/1/17 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
We've always used the RMD steering wheels on the Furore, there was a little negative press about them a couple of years back, but we never had a failure whilst I was selling them & I have a 5 year old one on my car now. They are now made of slightly thicker alloy, very good value for money & Furore Products (no longer run by me!)

Link to Steering Wheels

will give 5% off to LCB if you contact directly rather than buy through the website/Ebay

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Adamirish

posted on 31/1/17 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 300mm OMP suede wheel. Can't remember the name of it though. It's a lovely wheel but I feel it's a touch too big. Wish I had bought a 280mm as it wasn't cheap!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

ptrxly

posted on 8/2/17 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Longacre 11.5" suede US$89.90 flat
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1827&prodid=10118&pagetitle=11.5%22+Suede+Flat+Kart+Steering+Wheel

Perfect size for me & best price by far. Does not look like your typical kart steering wheel.

David Jenkins

posted on 8/2/17 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
One cautionary note: When I built the car I fitted a quick rack (2.4, I think), modified the top wishbones to get extra self-centering for the SVA, and fitted a small steering wheel. The result of all that, plus the addition of brand-new and tight steering components, was that on long journeys my wrists used to ache painfully - all the built-in leverage and stiffness were working against me. Now I have a slightly bigger wheel and a middling rack (2.7), and everything's just fine. As an aside, I could probably get away with book wishbones now the steering joints are moving properly, and probably a quicker rack. I doubt that I'll change it anytime soon though.

The moral is - don't rush to get a small wheel until you're sure that it won't overload your arms. As an example, look at the size of the wheel in a typical WRC car; quite large, and right up in front of the driver for maximum turning force.

rodgling

posted on 8/2/17 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
OMP Kubic, it's expensive but good. As above, get the biggest one that you can still fit underneath. A squared off one (like the Kubic) helps with this.
jps

posted on 9/2/17 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The moral is - dofn't rush to get a small wheel until you're sure that it won't overload your arms. As an example, look at the size of the wheel in a typical WRC car; quite large, and right up in front of the driver for maximum turning force.

I've seen a good few rally cars that have deeply dished wheels presumably for exactly this reason, I guess people design in the wheel position up front if they want this in their 7 though? I know I have!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.