Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which fittings for these flexi pipes ?
mcerd1

posted on 14/2/17 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Which fittings for these flexi pipes ?

I got my flexi hoses from dax a while back, but didn't get the hard line kit from them, but now I've got a question on the fittings I need and they aren't around to ask....

the fitting on the end of the flexi looks like this - it appears to be a standard female M10x1.0 thread and has a concave end to the line inside:
(although I can't easily measure the shape of the tapper)

Everyone else I know who got these flexi pipes also seem to have been given a male-male inline connector of some kind between the flexi hose end and 3/16" hard line (which has a M10x1.0 female end on it) like this:

is there any reason for this inline connector ? / is it actually some kind of adaptor or has it just got an M10x1.0 on each end ?

if it is just an ordinary male M10x1.0 then the only reason I can think it would be there is to save disturbing the hard line connection when the flexi's are changed - any other suggestions ?

-

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 14/2/17 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

The bulkhead fitting is on the female part of your flexi lines. This part is fixed (locked by the lock nut on your bracket)

On the big picture you published, there is a female fitting on the copper pipe, so they put a male-male adaptor in between to connect both female fittings.

But considering that fittings on copper pipes are always swivel, you could do directly with a M10x1.00 male nipple on the copper pipe, and shape a convex the seat on the copper pipe to match the concave seat inside the female bulkhead fitting of your flexi lines.

But if you already have a female fitting on the copper pipe, then you will need a male-male adaptor like on the picture you published. You will need to know which thread and seat are in the female fitting of the copper pipe to order the right adaptor.

Hope that helps

mcerd1

posted on 14/2/17 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
^^ should have said - I have no copper pipe or fittings at all yet, I'll make them up to suit

what I can't work out is why dax would choose to include the inline adaptor in the first place ?
(the copper pipe kit they sold was made for them to there own specification for this car)

-

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 14/2/17 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
^^ should have said - I have no copper pipe or fittings at all yet, I'll make them up to suit

Si on that case, when you make your copper pipes, just install a M10x1.00 male fitting (= male nipple), with a convex seat on the copper pipe.

R03-Cu[/ur l] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/99498333@N06/]Sylvain ROIG, sur Flickr

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
what I can't work out is why dax would choose to include the inline adaptor in the first place ?
(the copper pipe kit they sold was made for them to there own specification for this car)

Yes, it would have been more logical, as we do on the Haynes Roadster, to have flexi lines witha male bulkhead+lock nut, and a female swivel on the copper pipes or chassis side brake lines.

LogoPageWe bPtt by Sylvain ROIG, sur Flickr

On the picture you published, there are 2 connections (female-to-male-adaptor and male-adaptor-to-female-bulkhead) when just one is actually needed.

[Edited on 14/2/17 by voucht]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.