Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Out of round tyres ?
ken555

posted on 6/9/17 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Out of round tyres ?

Got a complete set of new tyres fitted mid August.

Did a few local miles (Approx 70) over the next couple of weeks, nothing fast.

Last weekend did a 300 mile trip, mainly motorway speeds, and notice that the wheels felt unbalanced, drumming, bit of steering shake etc.

Was planning to take them back to the fitter to get check, when I thought I would check for any flat stops caused by the unbalance.

When checking it looks like both fronts (Haven't looked at the backs yet) are out of round, only a mm of so.

Checked the wheels, and they seem ok.

Would it be possible that the tyre was like that from the start, there is quite a bit of balance weights on the inside of the alloy, suggesting that they had a problem balancing it.

Or would 300 miles with it out of balance cause it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 7/9/17 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
300 miles wouldn't cause it.

Standing around can cause it, especially if allowed to go flat. As can pothole damage. Are they cheap tyres? Every car I've bought with cheap tyres has had them bulge/balloon/delaminate in 12 months. By cheap I mean anything in the budget price range. Barum's ballooned and burst on me. Accelera's were so bad in the wet I ditched them with 6mm still on them.

Or 15 years of use as I found recently...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQI7MaAmVo

[Edited on 7/9/17 by coyoteboy]

posted on 7/9/17 at 02:53 AM Reply With Quote
Several years back I put my car in for MOT. I stood by the workshop door looking in when the tester was checking the wheel bearings.
As he spun the rear wheel by hand I could see the tyre had a bump in it. Sort of pear shaped.
He didn't notice and the car passed but when I got home I found another almost as bad.
Wasn't happy driving it after that so within the month I changed all four. They were about half worn.
On a dead smooth tarmac road it sounded almost as if I was running over the cats eyes.
Never bought a Dunlop since.

Paul G

nick205

posted on 7/9/17 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Never bought a Dunlop since.

Paul G

Odd - I ran Dunlop tyres on my Passat through choice. They worked and lasted well in the wet or dry for me. Motorways, A & B roads, loaded/unloaded etc.

Had SWMBO's Touran fitted with a full set of Falken tyres. Few thousand miles since, including a fully laden family holiday to Wales. All seems well so far. They weren't expensive and TBH I'll monitor tyre wear and replace them all as they wear anyway.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/9/17 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I can second the hatred of Dunlop tyres, every set I've tried has been like driving on wet grass.

chillis

posted on 7/9/17 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming these are for the GTM, which would be 13 inch rims. Whilst there are a few production cars still running 13" wheels they tend to be 145x13 or the like. 175&185x13 are now likely to be new 'old stock', stuff that's been sitting around on a shelf somewhere and so may either have 'sagged' or started to delaminate depending on how they have been stored.
Check the date code to see when the tyres were manufactured - you may be able to get something back from which ever tyre fitting company sold you the tyres as they are defective. If they were bought over the internet and or were cheap then you may have just learned the lesson of why not to buy cheap internet tyres

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

ken555

posted on 7/9/17 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Yes 175 &185 by 13"

Where bought via Blackcircle, Kumho tyre which I've used in the past.

Will snap the date codes later, was just trying to gather facts before I contact them.

[Edited on 7-9-17 by ken555]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/9/17 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
if your storing the car for any length of time, jack up the wheels and rest the car on blocks or use these...

I have these for my Landy which lets me shove it up against the wall when it's not being used, the curved shape stops the tire developing a flat spot

[Edited on 7/9/17 by Mr Whippy]

coyoteboy

posted on 7/9/17 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillisIf they were bought over the internet and or were cheap then you may have just learned the lesson of why not to buy cheap internet tyres

Consumer rights for distance purchases are actually better than in-store. And all the in-store purchase rights are still active.

ken555

posted on 7/9/17 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
These were only purchase on 12th August this year, so hardly been sitting in the one spot for anytime.

Overwinter the car is on stands, with the tyres inflated to well over their normal road settings.

If there a quick link to working out date codes on them ?

adithorp

posted on 7/9/17 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Could well be the tyres. Falken aren't the best quality.
The other thing that comes to mind and I've seen a few times, is if either not enough tyre soap/bead lube is used fitting them or they aren't initially blown up over presure (or both) they might they might not have seated equally/fully on the rim. Trouble is once the tyre soap has dried out, just blowing them up probably won't do it; You'd need to break the bead and re-lube first.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ken555

posted on 7/9/17 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote

Mid March this year ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.