Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse trike with Virago 1100 motor. Any ideas?
xico_ze54

posted on 27/1/18 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse trike with Virago 1100 motor. Any ideas?

hi all

had recentely aquired a Virago 1100 complete mechanics and want to know if anyone has ever tried or made a reverse trike or repurposing that motor in a car.

my intention was to put that motor in the front of the trike, but my concernes are about how to adapt a front transmission to that motor.

thanks in advance.

Amadeu

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 27/1/18 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
You mean like a Morgan?

That would involve a lot of work as tha Yamaha engine is shaft output an£ that would stick out one side, you could chain drive it, but the chain would be offset, and probably need a countershaft.

A Moto Guzzi engine would be much easier start, graft on a car gearbox and drive the rear wheel using a shaft drive bike back end.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
xico_ze54

posted on 27/1/18 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
You mean like a Morgan?

That would involve a lot of work as tha Yamaha engine is shaft output an£ that would stick out one side, you could chain drive it, but the chain would be offset, and probably need a countershaft.

A Moto Guzzi engine would be much easier start, graft on a car gearbox and drive the rear wheel using a shaft drive bike back end.

I know Guzzi was better, but the 1100 Virago is what I get and want to see if it is possible to do anything with it.

JC

posted on 28/1/18 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
You could try something like this, would look quite cool with the engine turned through 90 degrees like a virago!

Linky mclinkface

Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/1/18 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a Virago 1100 and toyed with the idea of building a Trike with it.
I think is very doable as IIRC, shaft although offset, is offset to the left, which will put transmission tunnel more or where it needs to be (or maybe not for Right Hand Drive)
Commisionning an extended shaft shouldn´t be much of a problem, and wide rim at the back lends to some reasonable size car tire.
Small car front end may be used to keep weight down
Unless you are planning for FEFWD.
In this case some kind of adapter may be made to fix engine and Diff.
This may lead to a nose heavvy arrangement.
Hope this helps.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

JC

posted on 28/1/18 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Or even Google bloody mary car - 2 Jap V twins and chain drive, but no reason not to use one and a shaft, either 3 or 4 wheels, a bit like a buckland B3 in shape?
xico_ze54

posted on 28/1/18 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
I used to have a Virago 1100 and toyed with the idea of building a Trike with it.
I think is very doable as IIRC, shaft although offset, is offset to the left, which will put transmission tunnel more or where it needs to be (or maybe not for Right Hand Drive)
Commisionning an extended shaft shouldn´t be much of a problem, and wide rim at the back lends to some reasonable size car tire.
Hope this helps.

what I want is the less complicated possible thing repurposing the 1100 virago motor. don't want to use it as road legal or so. even a FWD configuration could interest if was the less complicated. I'm not a mechanician and the less is more!

I just want to build it for construction fun, as I did with the Locost, and eventually run it in the annual Caramulo Motorfestival, a uphill just 40km from my home.

cheers

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/1/18 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xico_ze54
quote:
Hope this helps.

what I want is the less complicated possible thing repurposing the 1100 virago motor. don't want to use it as road legal or so. even a FWD configuration could interest if was the less complicated. I'm not a mechanician and the less is more!

I just want to build it for construction fun, as I did with the Locost, and eventually run it in the annual Caramulo Motorfestival, a uphill just 40km from my home.

cheers

Xico.
When you say complete Mechanics, does that includes the rear wheel and rear transmission?
As that would be the less complicated thing. You would be extending the shaft and Torque tube.
The only problem I see is that the shaft woould intrude on the passenger seat if you choose to keep the motor centered or maybe not.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

xico_ze54

posted on 29/1/18 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by xico_ze54
quote:
Hope this helps.

cheers

Xico.
When you say complete Mechanics, does that includes the rear wheel and rear transmission?
As that would be the less complicated thing. You would be extending the shaft and Torque tube.
The only problem I see is that the shaft woould intrude on the passenger seat if you choose to keep the motor centered or maybe not.

I have the entire bike and have no missing items.
of course the motor rotated in front of the trike/car would be best looking but if it is a problem I don't mind to put it longitudinally as it cames from the bike.
the configuration of the trike is not a problem. mono place, two seater, two seater tandem, or just a non-simetric trike as the Sub-3 (but that is a fantastic construction in my point of view). what I want is just put a "thing" on the road with the less problems possible.
cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.