Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing those adjustable SPAX
petroldiaries

posted on 2/4/18 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Replacing those adjustable SPAX

Hi
I’ve finally removed that rusty front suspension, got some black replacement wishbones to go in but need to pick your brains on the shocks. These old units are adjustable SPAX, they’re not leaking but have certainly seen better days, for replacing is it just a case of removing the spring and measuring between the two eyeslets to get the size? The only marking is M74 on the collar below the adjustment ring.

I’ve had a read on here SPAX don’t appear to be the unit of choice? Is there a model number that’s the correct size to consider in protechs etc

dampers
dampers

Description
Description

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 2/4/18 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
If you want to find the equivalent parts in Gaz Shocks, Protech, etc., you need:
Length between the two eyelets when OPEN
Length between the two eyelets when CLOSED
Body diameter (important if you want to keep your old springs)
Rod diameter
Fitting (bushes or end rods)

And then you will find the equivalent piece in Gaz or Protech catalogues.

Hope this will help

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/4/18 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
How can you be sure they are no good? They would need testing, outward appearance means nothing with shocks.
Spax adjustables are notorious for the adjusters seizing....but I really see no difference in quality between them, gaz and avo. Koni are great, as are some of the other better quality shocks. Protech seem well regarded too....

petroldiaries

posted on 2/4/18 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
How can you be sure they are no good? They would need testing, outward appearance means nothing with shocks.
Spax adjustables are notorious for the adjusters seizing....but I really see no difference in quality between them, gaz and avo. Koni are great, as are some of the other better quality shocks. Protech seem well regarded too....

Your probably right these were working fine with the previous owner but been laid up for a few years, but they just look terrible. I'm minded to get shiny new ones

petroldiaries

posted on 2/4/18 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by voucht
Hi,
If you want to find the equivalent parts in Gaz Shocks, Protech, etc., you need:
Length between the two eyelets when OPEN
Length between the two eyelets when CLOSED
Body diameter (important if you want to keep your old springs)
Rod diameter
Fitting (bushes or end rods)

And then you will find the equivalent piece in Gaz or Protech catalogues.

Hope this will help

Great thanks

petroldiaries

posted on 2/4/18 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Actually just gave them a good clean-up and noticed a finely stamped model number G945 AD, more to go on now
CosKev3

posted on 7/4/18 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you contact 'Damperman' on the Westfield club forum he is high up in Spax,might be MD,he has now developed properly valved shock absorbers for our light weight cars
The Spax on yours are apparently very hard and are valved for standard cars,that's the reason so many Westfield owners remove them.

petroldiaries

posted on 12/4/18 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
If you contact 'Damperman' on the Westfield club forum he is high up in Spax,might be MD,he has now developed properly valved shock absorbers for our light weight cars
The Spax on yours are apparently very hard and are valved for standard cars,that's the reason so many Westfield owners remove them.

Oops sorry pro tech shocks already ordered!!!I went for these as heard good reviews

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.