Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk6 fiesta springs twanging
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/18 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Mk6 fiesta springs twanging

So on my wee fiesta I changed the whole suspension system which was easy enough but since then as I turn the wheel I hear the springs twanging. Hmm the top bearing was quite tight but didn't see anything about greasing it prior to fitting. Done this kind of jobs on other cars and this bearing has to be the worst design I've seen yet, cheap and nasty. Any ideas? I don't mind stripping it back down as it's all free and with new bolts...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 18/6/18 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Are you referring to the bearing on top of the suspension strut?

I've changed a few myself and likewise never seen any instruction to lubricate them in any way. Ordinarily they seem to have a pretty long service life and I assume are designed for any water to drain out via gravity.

There's usually a torque figure to tighten the nut to on the strut top. I'd imagine over-tightening it would put more load on the bearing and may make it wear faster.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/18 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm never thought of that tbh, no didn't use a torque wrench just a modified spanner
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 18/6/18 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Haynes manual for the 205 GTI gives:

Self-locking nut = 45nm
Crimped nut = 70nm

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/18 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
45nm oh... that's not tight at all

I suspect I am well above that, I used a tube extension.... Well I didn't have a manual at the time...silly me, glad I asked I did think the steering was a bit heavy, now I know why

Thanks very much

nick205

posted on 18/6/18 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth slackening them off a bit and see if it helps.

I think many of the bearings contain caged ball bearings so hopefully the balls or surfaces are not damaged!

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/18 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Might be worth slackening them off a bit and see if it helps.

I think many of the bearings contain caged ball bearings so hopefully the balls or surfaces are not damaged!

yeah I think your right with the cause, I actually ripped one of the old ones apart to see how it works and it's just a ring of ball bearings in a simple cage against the plastic housing surface which has a groove in both sides (this being the original Ford part). Don't think I have went ott with it to the point where I would have damage it as it doesn't sound rough, just tight... I'm more use to proper metal bearings that are tightened down on the inner bearing rather than this version of clamping the whole thing together

nick205

posted on 18/6/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fingers crossed!

Be sure to report back and let us know if clackeing it off helps resolve the issue.

Out of curiosity what's the mileage of the car and were other suspension parts/joints worn out?

joneh

posted on 18/6/18 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Had exactly the same on my Jeep - I needed to grease the top bearings and not over tighten.
snapper

posted on 18/6/18 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mk 6 top mounts are of toffee, in normal use, well you know for me, and I changed 3 to date

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 18/6/18 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm - sounds like they're not so good then!

Tightening the nut can be awkward as the shock absorber strut can rotate while you try and tighten the nut. Often there's an Allen fitting in the top of the strut to allow you to overcome this if using an Allen key through a spanner though.

Slimy38

posted on 18/6/18 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Macpherson struts normally have a shoulder on the piston so it shouldn't be possible to overtighten the nut and damage the top mount. They're also nylocs and from memory around 50lbft is about right for the ones I've seen.

But I have replaced umpteen top mount bearings because they've failed, sometimes after only a few hundred miles. There's loads of cheap parts out there, and they're not worth the effort. The one I did last on my Saab came out and sprinkled itself all over the floor, and it was maybe 1000 miles old? It was Eurocarparts 'middle' top mount, so not their cheapest one.

It got replaced with some that were Meyle branded and they're meant to be one of the best.

The other thing to check would be washers, it's often easy to miss one (or a previous owner to miss one), then the wrong things are sat against each other.

obfripper

posted on 18/6/18 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the nut is fully tightened otherwise it could end up looking like this.

Description
Description

If you drop down the strut top it should only take hand pressure to turn against the spring, it should turn smoothly.
Another thing to check is the alignment of the top - it will bolt down in 3 orientations, on most strut tops only 1 of these is correct and the other 2 will misalign the top bearing. This should be marked into the top face of the strut mount with an arrow pointing front-rear as futted to the car.

Dave

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/18 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
well I checked it last night looking at the old parts and the design is such that the central nut does not influence the bearing pressure, only the spring pushes against it so still at a lose however I was thinking of inserting a 2mm rubber gasket between the spring and the plastic bearing housing, partly to increase grip but also to isolate the road noise a bit more as it's quite loud, I know you can get a lower one although that's to stop the springs snapping all the time...
trextr7monkey

posted on 20/6/18 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have a pair of new fiesta springs of unknown model rolling around garage if any use can send pics and measurement s if helpful FOC
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/6/18 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike for the offer, I don't think springs are the issue though as they are new, more they are slipping on the strut mount bearing for some reason, looking into it just now
trextr7monkey

posted on 20/6/18 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I figured that but I’m trying to clear space in the garage I might have to start making those chickens on Springs that you see in parks!
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.