Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension squeaks and other noises
ArAKern

posted on 9/9/18 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension squeaks and other noises

Well managed to get the first real test drive yesterday apart from the expected wind and engine noise etc.
I have a annoying squeak from the rear drivers side suspension area (not present on passenger side was driving 2 up also)
do the metalastic bushes go bad car has been sat for many years... or another points I should investigate?

Also how noisy should the lsd sierra diff be (yes I understand it is hard mounted to the chassis and a few inches from my backside with no soundproofing in between) But with no experience to reference I do not know if I am hearing the expected whining noise or diff is singing its death song

CosKev3

posted on 9/9/18 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Diff should only make a slight whine,meshing noise.

Have you checked the oil level?

Metalastic bushes should be silent,are you sure that's what is fitted on all joints?
They should twist rather than turn like a poly bush insert does,only time a metalastic one will make a noise is if the retaining bolt is loose

furryeggs

posted on 9/9/18 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I can hear my diff, fuel pump, tyres on the road and all sorts more, until I boot it then all I can here is the Throttle bodies screaming and the exhaust noise. Started wearing a helmet to stop the wind noise and cut the exhaust and TB noise.
martinnitram

posted on 9/9/18 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Squeaking bushes in the rear of mine, cured with a squirt of silicone lube for a while and its come back so I just ignore it.

The diff on mine however is harder to ignore, whines / sings when cruising and a loud meshing whining noise on overrun, slaps and clonks and clacks at low speed on off throttle, i'm sure its audible to folks outside the car.

Like you I have no other reference if the diffs normal or not but does make the experience less enjoyable. As said above until the throttle bodies are opened up and the roar over powers the other noises.

Never checked the oil in it as the diff hasn't been a priority on my to do list although I will get on to it at some point.
Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Cheers

martinnitram

posted on 25/9/18 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Checked the oil level in my diff and all is well, just about level with the filer hole and in clean condition, the filler plug is a magnetic one
and there was some metal bits on it but nothing that alarmed me.

Ive since covered the cab side of the rear bulkhead in sound deadening foam and sat both seats on rubber mats but made no appreciable difference.
Any other tricks for quietening the diff whine ?

jossey

posted on 26/9/18 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
Here are my noises. Many mentioned above.

Front wishbone bushes squeel
Diff whine
Scuttle attached to body did till I put tiger seal on it.
Rollcage attached to body of going hard squeeks
Fuel pump occasionally has a whine
Couple of body parts squeek on corners but only a touch. Need to remove and replace it with new tiger seal.
Gearbox mount likes a whine too

Basically it's a car built in a garage don't expect bmw comfort and soundproofing

I removed most of the above but diff is lsd so that's noisy. I am unsure on how to write how loud it is but let's say similar to driving in a flat tyre. If your in doubt find someone local who knows kit cars and ask them to tell you if it's too bad.

Get a louder exhaust if the sound annoys you haha.

The sounds from the engine you need to pay attention to. And your oil pressure warning light. Watch this alot.

Enjoy the car

[Edited on 26/9/18 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 26/9/18 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I also had a whine and slapping noise on the overrun, so added a tube of molyslip, and that seems to of quietened it

Don't think you can use molyslip on an lsd though

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

leon51274

posted on 26/9/18 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinnitram
Checked the oil level in my diff and all is well, just about level with the filer hole and in clean condition, the filler plug is a magnetic one
and there was some metal bits on it but nothing that alarmed me.

Ive since covered the cab side of the rear bulkhead in sound deadening foam and sat both seats on rubber mats but made no appreciable difference.
Any other tricks for quietening the diff whine ?

Use ear plugs! I always use ear plugs and a helmet and my car is quite as a mouse!

swanny

posted on 26/9/18 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
earplugs/helmet let me enjoy the drive more. i panic less about every tiny noise i hear :-) burt i can still hear anything major (and the engine of course)
ArAKern

posted on 26/9/18 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Well refilled the diff with oil genuine ford oil made no difference but it does not seem to get worse at speed at all. Might take a run over to road and race ask them to listen just for piece of mind, or if there is a member local Hampshire area that is used to the diff noise.

Managed to find and fix the most annoying squeak but uncovered another it was masking
have one knock that I would like to find coming from the diff area it is not continuous and does not seem to happen at any particular situation.

yes when we hit the motorways then helmets will be on and earplugs.

I also put the scouring pads back up the exhaust as did not like the sound while driving round town.(must be getting old)

Swanny planning our first long drive Southampton to Nottingham at the weekend hope the weather holds..

LBMEFM

posted on 27/9/18 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
What really alarmed me when I first used my new build MK, apart from the slaps and clonks of the transmission, was the loud creaks from the car when I pushed it over ramps etc. Still nine years on it hasn't fallen apart and has survived many,many track days.
nick205

posted on 28/9/18 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArAKern
Well refilled the diff with oil genuine ford oil made no difference but it does not seem to get worse at speed at all. Might take a run over to road and race ask them to listen just for piece of mind, or if there is a member local Hampshire area that is used to the diff noise.

Managed to find and fix the most annoying squeak but uncovered another it was masking
have one knock that I would like to find coming from the diff area it is not continuous and does not seem to happen at any particular situation.

yes when we hit the motorways then helmets will be on and earplugs.

I also put the scouring pads back up the exhaust as did not like the sound while driving round town.(must be getting old)

Swanny planning our first long drive Southampton to Nottingham at the weekend hope the weather holds..

Full face crash helmet with the visor down for eye protection makes a difference, you hear less!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.