Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch cable solution
jps

posted on 15/3/19 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch cable solution

I'd be interested if anyone has a compelling reason why this is poor solution...!

To get the run of the clutch cable I want (avoiding where one of the brake lines will go into the master cylinder) - and to get tension on the cable i've swapped the short 'angled' tube on the back of the 'Book' Haynes Roadster pedal box for a longer tube that exits squarely at 90 degrees.

The extra length and loss of the angle introduces the problem that the clutch inner cable chafes on the pedal box as it exits the tube to come down to the bottom of the pedal. So I've fitted a length of garden hosepipe 'inside' the footwell to act as an addtional length of outer cable running almost all the way up to the end of the pedal.

Pedal movement seems fine - and as the clutch inner cable is itself plastic lined - I can't see there will be rapid wear between the inner and the hosepipe outer.

There's a photo here (sorry about the size!) - the hosepipe goes the full length of the horizontal tube, so won't work loose.

rusty nuts

posted on 15/3/19 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the angle the cable goes through before going through the bulkhead I suspect it will fracture. The pedal pivot point is too low
jps

posted on 15/3/19 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Looking at the angle the cable goes through before going through the bulkhead I suspect it will fracture. The pedal pivot point is too low

I am hoping it won't, the bend the cable takes to come back into the gearbox is tighter... But shifting the pivot is my plan B

AdamR20

posted on 15/3/19 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd shift the pivot, reckon it will chop through the hose pipe in no time.
snapper

posted on 16/3/19 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR20
I'd shift the pivot, reckon it will chop through the hose pipe in no time.

What he said

It’ll be like a hot knife through butter, whatever is softest will go first (the hose) followed by the clutch cable plastic on the metal then the cable itself.

There is a huge amount of pressure on the cable, you want a clean straight run from cable outer to connection points, you could cut a slot in the metal tube and pedal box to relieve the inner cable run.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.