Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to work out braided brake line length
Slimy38

posted on 12/10/20 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
How to work out braided brake line length

What's the normal process for working out brake lines? I'm not doing anything clever, the kunifer will end in the small tabs as described in the Haynes manual, then off to MX5 calipers. I was thinking 'length of string' approach, making sure I can pin it to the wishbone but leave enough for suspension travel and steering? Is it that simple?

posted on 13/10/20 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
String is a bit floppy so I used a 1.6 TIG rod.

Don't suppose you have this so straighten out a wire coat hanger.

When wheels are straight make a big curve then make sure that when on full lock either way they still fit.

Paul G

p..s. Don't leave the wife's best dress chucked across the bed.

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/10/20 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
A bit of rubber hose would be easier, push it over some old hose fittings
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 13/10/20 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
I often use a MIG liner when fitting metal brake pipes, especially if they need rerouting , to work out the length and route needed. Something similar might work for flexi hose?
Slimy38

posted on 13/10/20 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
A bit of rubber hose would be easier, push it over some old hose fittings

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I often use a MIG liner when fitting metal brake pipes, especially if they need rerouting , to work out the length and route needed. Something similar might work for flexi hose?

That sounds like a perfect combination, I'm sure I have a few feet of liner left over from the last replacement and I have hose all over the place from the donor.

Thanks everyone for the replies, that's really useful.

obuckle

posted on 13/10/20 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
We usually recommend something which is flexible, but has some stiffness & will follow the path you want, washer tubing, thin hose or electrical cable will all usually do the job. Don't forget to allow for lock to lock & full bump/droop on the suspension, always better to be a fraction long than a fraction short!

Furore Formula Car - the only two seater modern Formula Car lookalike head to furorecars.co.uk

Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk

Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. https://furoreproducts.co.uk/custom-brake-hose

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 13/10/20 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Also don't forget that braided hose does not twist.

Recently dealt with a braided hose manufacturer who had placed brackets on their product that forced the hose to twist to be installed (imagine the banjo bolt reaching its home 90 degrees out of alignment).

It's bloody hard to twist a small section as you're loading the braiding up, and it eventually fails spectacularly (I found evidence of other users who had had this fail and cause blow-outs of the hose).

So whatever you use, ensure it flows naturally and you don't have to twist the bugger to install it, only bend.

[Edited on 13/10/20 by coyoteboy]

Slimy38

posted on 13/10/20 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Also don't forget that braided hose does not twist.

Recently dealt with a braided hose manufacturer who had placed brackets on their product that forced the hose to twist to be installed (imagine the banjo bolt reaching its home 90 degrees out of alignment).

It's bloody hard to twist a small section as you're loading the braiding up, and it eventually fails spectacularly (I found evidence of other users who had had this fail and cause blow-outs of the hose).

So whatever you use, ensure it flows naturally and you don't have to twist the bugger to install it, only bend.

[Edited on 13/10/20 by coyoteboy]

Good advice, I'm trying to understand how I can avoid that? If I understand the fitting correctly, the hose will go into the caliper first and be tightened up. Then it will be fixed at the appropriate points until it gets to the fixing plate. I'll then push it through and lock it with one of those U spring washers. Then the rigid pipe will be screwed to it. I think that should avoid twisting as the won't be a need to align either end.

Slimy38

posted on 13/10/20 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obuckle
We usually recommend something which is flexible, but has some stiffness & will follow the path you want, washer tubing, thin hose or electrical cable will all usually do the job. Don't forget to allow for lock to lock & full bump/droop on the suspension, always better to be a fraction long than a fraction short!

Oddly enough it'll be you guys I'm more than likely going to come to!

steve m

posted on 13/10/20 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I made all my hoses, and the braided ones, and have done for years
all i ever used was a tape measure, and always made the pipes at least two inchs to long, as you can always lose it in a bend etc
Too short, and yoiur stuffed

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

obuckle

posted on 14/10/20 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by obuckle

Oddly enough it'll be you guys I'm more than likely going to come to!

I will look out for your order.

In regards to what people are saying about the hoses twisting and union orientation, with my lines it is possible to rotate the unions such at the banjos by holding the ferrule with pliers and using a solid rod, such as a thick screwdriver, in the banjo eye to turn it to the orientation needed so the hose can go exactly where you intent it to

Furore Formula Car - the only two seater modern Formula Car lookalike head to furorecars.co.uk

Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk

Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. https://furoreproducts.co.uk/custom-brake-hose

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.