Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Monte brakes.....
Nickp

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Monte brakes.....

well it doesn't actually!! It never ceases to amaze me how bad the brakes are on the old girl each time I get in it after driving anything else. It passed its MOT the other day but I need to sort it if I'm going to get some decent use out of it this year.

In 1977 the Lancia Montecarlos were reknowned for having poor brakes, so you can imagine how they feel 35yrs on, and it now has 150BHP which doesn't help As std it had piddling little 227x10mm discs all round, and used to be servo assisted just on the fronts (mega wet weather lock-ups!! ) but this has long since gone.

A while back I upgraded the fronts to 240x20mm Uno turbo discs and used Ford calipers as these happen to have the same piston size as the originals. This stopped the horrendous brake fade / fluid boiling but didn't really add to the overall stopping power. The 240's were chosen to fit inside the std 13" wheels. I've now got 14" wheels so have a bit more room to play with. Ideally I'd like 257x20mm vented discs all round, but that's proving a bit tricky. The fronts should be easy-ish by just making new caliper brackets to replace the custom ones I already have on there. However the rears are proving trickier. I need a 'leading' rear caliper c/w handbrake that will fit a 257x20mm disc with a piston size as near to 38mm as possible. I thought I'd cracked it with MR2 ones but a trial fit showed these to be far too bulky to be considered So, unless someone has the answer on here then I'm looking at another option. I'm looking to 'space-out' the existing caliper and fit a 257x12mm solid disc. This isn't quite as straight-forward as it sounds though. The caliper is only moving out 15mm (30mm / 2) leaving no room to fit a bracket in between it and the hub. The std disc has an overall depth of 50mm and I've found a 257mm disc with a 40mm height. I reckon this'll allow me to get a 10mm bracket in there to space it all out. So here come's the question - I was going to make the bracket out of 50x10mm flat alloy bar, will this be suitable? The hole centres (M10 bolts)from the hub and caliper carrier will only be 15mm apart so can't see there been too much stress on it. I'm gonna make sure there's plenty of 'meat' around it too. Or should I just do it in the heavier and harder to work with steel?? Bearing in mind I'll be using a pillar-drill, hacksaw and grinder to do this rather than a fully equipped machine shop.

froggy

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
cheapest calipers will be the vag rear fitted to all manor of golf/passat etc . one trick i find helps is to rig the hydraulics up and clamp the caliper to the disc with pressure rather than trying to wedge it in position with packers . for me i would use steel rather than alloy for piece of mind

some jap rear calipers like the later hyundai coupes have a generous pad size but are a bit pricey new

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

lsdweb

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Peugeot / Citroen (Saxo, 106 etc) offer a good option for a cheap rear caliper. And they will fit under 13" wheels so 14s shouldn't be a problem - here on my Locost a few years ago -

Rear caliper conversion 3
Rear caliper conversion 3

Nickp

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
cheapest calipers will be the vag rear fitted to all manor of golf/passat etc . one trick i find helps is to rig the hydraulics up and clamp the caliper to the disc with pressure rather than trying to wedge it in position with packers . for me i would use steel rather than alloy for piece of mind

some jap rear calipers like the later hyundai coupes have a generous pad size but are a bit pricey new

Hi Dave,
VAGs were the 2nd ones I looked at, after the MR2s, as our lasses Seat is sat on the drive Unfortunately they're trailing rather than leading calipers. I considered using them on the opposite side but that adds complications.

froggy

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Does that put the bleed at the bottom then ? My pig has the bleed underneath do I have to take them off to bleed them .

owelly

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you just swap sides?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 24/4/12 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
MG TF Rear Calipers are 38mm bore for 10mm discs.

One thing to watch out for if the discs require the calipers to be spaced out from the brakets in addition to shear force because moving the caliper outboard creates a lever which causes an increased torue to be generated which tries to twist the calliper bracket off its mountings

As to making the calliper braket out of "alloy" there are hundreds of grades of aluminium alloys some of which are as soft as toffee especially when subject to heat so unless you seek advice on the metalurgy and do some calcs it would be a safer bet for you to use steel.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Can't you just swap sides?

Yes, thought about that mate. It does mean that the handbrake working would be arse about face though. The cable nipple would be fixed in place and the outr sleeve would move to squeeze the brake on. I guess it'd still work but not ideal.

[Edited on 25/4/12 by Nickp]

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

One thing to watch out for if the discs require the calipers to be spaced out from the brakets in addition to shear force because moving the caliper outboard creates a lever which causes an increased torue to be generated which tries to twist the calliper bracket off its mountings

As to making the calliper braket out of "alloy" there are hundreds of grades of aluminium alloys some of which are as soft as toffee especially when subject to heat so unless you seek advice on the metalurgy and do some calcs it would be a safer bet for you to use steel.

Good info fella, are the MG's leading or trailing? TBH I'm after a 38mm pistoned caliper that'll take a ventrd disc as hopefully the 257mm solid disc is just a stop-gap. Good point about the levering forces and material, all are been considered.

britishtrident

posted on 25/4/12 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the Brakes Int online shop it shows the Monte fitted with the same pressure regulator in the rear brake line as the FWD Beta.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looking at the Brakes Int online shop it shows the Monte fitted with the same pressure regulator in the rear brake line as the FWD Beta.

I'm not aware of any pressure regulator on the Monte. There's certainly no mechanical item that'd work off the rear suspension to limit it as it rises to prevent lock up.

jimgiblett

posted on 25/4/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I used 6082 - T6 for my calliper adapters. This was recommended as suitable. My adaptors are pretty chunky though

Always wanted a Monte in my stable

- Jim

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, cheers fella. I've just got a 2.5" x 3/8" x 12" bar in 6082 for £6 from a local stockholders
Let the drilling commence!!

owelly

posted on 25/4/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you're tapping the ally, may I suggest drilling the tapping hole slightly undersize to make sure you get a full thread? So for M10x1.5, instead of using a 8.5mm drill, use a 21/64". Plenty of cutting juice and lots of elbow grease....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rachaeljf

posted on 25/4/12 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I'm presently looking at brake upgrades too for my X1/9s, which have the same layout as the Monte. The problem we have is the need for more equal braking effort front and rear because of the mid engine layout, compared to the FWD cars we are trying to source our budget brake upgrades from.

At the front I have got 257x20 discs (Alfa 155/Punto/Brava) with matching Alfa 155 Girling calipers/carriers. These were a direct bolt-on with 5 mm spacers.

At the back I'm looking at 257x12 discs (again from Alfa 155/Punto lesser models) with Girling 38 mm piston rear calipers from the old Croma/Thema/Alfa 164. The tricky bit is the adapter brackets. I have to space the calipers forward 6mm, radially 17mm and go from 100mm c/c to 90mm c/c holes. The close hole centres means that the lugs on the hub and caliper carriers interfere with the opposing fixing bolts, needing some milling done to make a suitable bracket.

If you want to stay with the Bendix seizing calipers at the rear, 38 mm piston versions are available from certain Lada models. This is a popular x1/9 upgrade to give a bit more rear bias.

Another thought I had was to use 257x20 discs and suitable calipers same as the front, and add a spot caliper for the handbrake, perhaps mounting off the chunky steering arm coming off the rear of the hub carrier.

If you can go bigger still (e.g. 16" wheels), the lug-bolt interference problems go away - on my V6 X1/9 I have 304x28 discs with the infamous screeching Brembos at the front and 284x22 discs with Audi TT/Golf 4 Girling handbrake calipers at the back.

rj

posted on 25/4/12 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
if you need anything milling your welcome to pop over, I am only in Mexborough. I have always liked Monte Carlo's, remember lusting over one when i was 15 !
Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rj
if you need anything milling your welcome to pop over, I am only in Mexborough. I have always liked Monte Carlo's, remember lusting over one when i was 15 !

Ta, I'll bear that in mind

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you're tapping the ally, may I suggest drilling the tapping hole slightly undersize to make sure you get a full thread? So for M10x1.5, instead of using a 8.5mm drill, use a 21/64". Plenty of cutting juice and lots of elbow grease....

Noted 'Drilling/Tapping Guru'

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rachaeljf
I'm presently looking at brake upgrades too for my X1/9s, which have the same layout as the Monte. The problem we have is the need for more equal braking effort front and rear because of the mid engine layout, compared to the FWD cars we are trying to source our budget brake upgrades from.

At the front I have got 257x20 discs (Alfa 155/Punto/Brava) with matching Alfa 155 Girling calipers/carriers. These were a direct bolt-on with 5 mm spacers.

At the back I'm looking at 257x12 discs (again from Alfa 155/Punto lesser models) with Girling 38 mm piston rear calipers from the old Croma/Thema/Alfa 164. The tricky bit is the adapter brackets. I have to space the calipers forward 6mm, radially 17mm and go from 100mm c/c to 90mm c/c holes. The close hole centres means that the lugs on the hub and caliper carriers interfere with the opposing fixing bolts, needing some milling done to make a suitable bracket.

If you want to stay with the Bendix seizing calipers at the rear, 38 mm piston versions are available from certain Lada models. This is a popular x1/9 upgrade to give a bit more rear bias.

Another thought I had was to use 257x20 discs and suitable calipers same as the front, and add a spot caliper for the handbrake, perhaps mounting off the chunky steering arm coming off the rear of the hub carrier.

If you can go bigger still (e.g. 16" wheels), the lug-bolt interference problems go away - on my V6 X1/9 I have 304x28 discs with the infamous screeching Brembos at the front and 284x22 discs with Audi TT/Golf 4 Girling handbrake calipers at the back.

Interesting stuff indeed Your front solution sounds similar to what I'm aiming for but I just happen to be using a Ford caliper. I'd be interested to see photos if you only needed a 5mm spacer to fit them, top stuff!!

I know the std rear calipers aren't the best but they're pretty compact and light. If well maintained they should still offer decent service although the pad area may be small compared to others (I haven't actually compared them to others). If I get the 257's all round (vented front / solid rear) and am happy with their performance then I may look for a more modern caliper for the rear.

[Edited on 26/4/12 by Nickp]

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well, that was a frustrating evening!!
I based my calculations on internet data about the discs. It stated the Monte ones were 50mm high and my new Punto ones were 40mm. This gave me a nice round 10mm to make my bracket from and everything would fall into place. My new discs arrived today and I got a nice piece of 6082 alloy and set about making the bracket. Spent all evening cutting / drilling / tapping, and I was quite pleased with the end result I trial fitted the bracket and caliper carrier onto the hub and all was well until I tried to fit the new disc. Turns out the Monte disc is 46mm high not 50mm which throws the caliper carrier 4mm out of line!! All is not lost though, I'm going to start all over again but do the bracket in 6mm steel instead!!

[Edited on 26/4/12 by Nickp]

froggy

posted on 25/4/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
cheer up nick , you should see the pile of stuff ive made and had to bin on my car

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I know, it's all part of the 'fun'!!
And I've now got a nice shiny ally template to work from

owelly

posted on 25/4/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
When faced with a similar problem making the mounts for my mates rally car, I plopped the ally in the lathe and faced a few mm off. Would that make your mounts fit?

Nickp

posted on 25/4/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
When faced with a similar problem making the mounts for my mates rally car, I plopped the ally in the lathe and faced a few mm off. Would that make your mounts fit?

It would mate, but if I'm going down to 6mm then I think it really needs to be in steel. It's a nice compact bracket and would've been fine in 10mm ally, but never mind.

Nickp

posted on 27/4/12 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've reverted to 6mm steel and got a 2ft bar of 6x50mm for £3 from a local engineers

Got a go at it this morning-

Here's the discs for comparison-

Managed to turn this into this-

Because of the closeness of the hole I had trim the point off the bolt head once it was torqued and loctited in place-

And a bit more trimming for clearance-

And all in place :clap:

Just need to do the other side before I can go for a road test.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.