Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: welding and brazing
davy

posted on 30/3/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
welding and brazing

I wish to do some brazing and I remember on this site someone was using propane and pub bottles. any one got any information how to go down this line..ie regulators etc. David
jacko

posted on 30/3/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Never heard of that
oxy /acetylene yes

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/3/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
or even oxy propane, although sexy ahotalene is much better

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

davy

posted on 30/3/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
welding and brazing

sorry chaps,reference the pub bottles I meant the co2 bottles that puts the fiz in the drinks
Peteff

posted on 30/3/09 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
You can braze with a Mapp gas blowlamp, the gas is available from B&Q. CO2 is no use at all for brazing only as shield gas for mig or filling fire extinguishers so pub gas is not going to help you.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

splitrivet

posted on 30/3/09 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Talking of brazing over the weekend I needed some brazing rods called into the local Halfrauds £3.99 for 2 rods!!!!!!! I made my excuses and beat a hasty retreat.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

designer

posted on 31/3/09 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
Go to the local welding suppliers, such as Splatter in Bridgewater (who, I think, do mailorder). You get loads for £20.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 31/3/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall that the small disposable type oxygen bottles for mini welding equipment contain nitros oxide. Ive been thinking of getting a co2 bottle filled with it to use for this purpose and a few other experiments.It is stored at the same pressure as co2 so co2 bottles can be used , it may not be a good idea to fill a co2 extinguisher with it though.
Paul.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/3/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Talking of brazing over the weekend I needed some brazing rods called into the local Halfrauds £3.99 for 2 rods!!!!!!! I made my excuses and beat a hasty retreat.
Cheers,
Bob

Even BOC can beat that hands-down! Look in Yellow Pages for a local welding supplier (may well be BOC) and see what they have on offer. They will sell them in fair-sized packets though (e.g. 500g, or 1kg).

Note: ordinary brazing rods are made of copper, zinc and a few trace elements - and they have rocketed in price, so prepare for a shock...

Oh - and don't forget that you'll need a pot of the matching flux too, unless you're buying coated rods (more expensive than bare rods and a tin of flux, but maybe easier to use).

And I've just thought of a question - what are you planning to braze?

If it's not structural (i.e. just sticking some sheet metal together) then ordinary 'brass' brazing rods will be fine. If it is structural then you have to use 'bronze welding' rods - copper-tin alloy - which are a huge amount more expensive, and there's a skill to using them.
If you're talking about small stuff, then silver-solder would be easier - but that IS expensive (but excellent for fine detailed stuff).

[Edited on 31/3/09 by David Jenkins]

Simon

posted on 31/3/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Copper has now come down in price so should have copper based products.

See http://www.lme.co.uk/copper_graphs.asp

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 31/3/09 by Simon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.