Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Compliant Steering Rack??
JohnN

posted on 9/4/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Compliant Steering Rack??

My steering rack has come from a 1991 (J reg) sierra 2 litre GLX and was not power assisted.

I hear about sva collapsible requirements, but see photos of others using this rack (which appears to have a collapsible section, that has already collapsed) and wonder if this rack is SVA compliant.

Any views, see photo attached

Thanks

JohnN Rescued attachment sva rack.jpg
Rescued attachment sva rack.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/4/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Your column looks adjustable, the compression part of these is made of thinner material due to the lack of room due to the adjuster. I think your column is OK, as when involved in an accident these compessive parts really do go off on one! If all the corrugations are even, I dont think you will have any problems

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Tigger

posted on 10/4/04 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
As long as the column collapses, then it will pass the SVA.
However, It is not mandatory to have it colapsible as long as the UJ has an agle of 10 degrees or over. This is so the steering wheel sill deflect away from the driver and not hit them smack in the face
Remember that the steering wheel boss DOES have to colapse though.

Hope that helps

Tigger

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PioneerX

posted on 19/4/04 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
My column tooks just like this. Same one I think. The ridges you see are not the crushable part. The triangular section has the ability to move up inside the column (this is the crush), it also has a wedge cut out of it to aid the crush when it reaches the end of the outer column.

Beside, when I fitted this column to my book chassis the angle between the column and the botton UJ is about 15degrees.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.