Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: modifying an anti roll bar
smart51

posted on 6/7/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
modifying an anti roll bar

For my single seater build I'm using Fiat Cinquecento donor parts. I've hit a bit of a snag with the anti roll bar though. When placed where I planned to put it, it gets in the way of my feet, which is bad. If I move it forwards a bit, it misses the wishbones. What do I do?

I could cut the ends off and mount it part way along the wishbone. Is this bad for bending the wishbones which are made from flat sided oval tube?

I could heat it up and bend it in a vice so that the ends line up with the wishbones again. Will this make the ARB brittle?

I don't want either to snap. What's the best plan? Rescued attachment seicentoARB.jpg
Rescued attachment seicentoARB.jpg

MK9R

posted on 6/7/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
For my single seater build I'm using Fiat Cinquecento donor parts. I've hit a bit of a snag with the anti roll bar though. When placed where I planned to put it, it gets in the way of my feet, which is bad. If I move it forwards a bit, it misses the wishbones. What do I do?

I could cut the ends off and mount it part way along the wishbone. Is this bad for bending the wishbones which are made from flat sided oval tube?

I could heat it up and bend it in a vice so that the ends line up with the wishbones again. Will this make the ARB brittle?

I don't want either to snap. What's the best plan?

are you sure this ARB won't be far too stiff??? have you done any calculations for what is needed?? I would get the suspension set up correctly without the ARB and then experiment with different thickness ARB's whilst on test days

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stott

posted on 7/7/10 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
If the car is light and balanced and the spring rates ore ok you might not need it anyway
smart51

posted on 7/7/10 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
3 wheelers need anti roll bars. They don't have the extra axle to resist roll, it all has to be done by 1 axle. I have done some calculations which show (if I've done them right) that the Fiat ARB is about the right size, except that it doesn't fit.

Stott

posted on 7/7/10 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
My bad, didn't realise it was a 3 wheeler
MK9R

posted on 7/7/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
My bad, didn't realise it was a 3 wheeler

+1, carry on sir

I wouldn't heat it up as they are heat treated in the first place to create their properties

I'd say mounting them on the wishbone where they meet should be ok, only the same as damper pick ups. Maybe add a wed to disperse the forces?

[Edited on 7/7/10 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.