Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake disc rotation
Breaker

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Brake disc rotation

Some weeks ago I received the grooved and drilled discs + wilwoods for my MK.

I trial fitted the left side with the brake disc that had "L " (left) on the box.

grooved disc
grooved disc

Is this correct ? I thought the grooves and holes should point to the other direction ?

blakep82

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
usually they go the other way, but i did see somewhere a while back, one manufacturer said they should be fitted the way you have them, so check with the disc manufacturer

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

locost750mc

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the manufacturer, sometimes they are this direction for cooling, or the other direction to allow the heat to disperse, also to allow brake dust a easy route out.

[Edited on 6/8/10 by locost750mc]

loggyboy

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
ive always been told other way. So anything in them (water, hot air, dust etc) is thrown outwards centrifugally rather than collected.
However the edge of your grooves does not run to the end of the disk so cant see how they can have much effect?

[Edited on 6/8/10 by loggyboy]

procomp

posted on 6/8/10 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

They should be the other way round. But it will not really make much of a difference to those ones as they are just groves for show rather than practical use.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PSpirine

posted on 7/8/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think it only matters on vented discs because of the direction the cooling vents run...

The grooves, and especially the dimples, couldn't make less of a difference (in terms of which way they turn)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.