Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 400bhp 1.8T Renault Clio race car - donor car??
djmnr

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
400bhp 1.8T Renault Clio race car - donor car??

Something a bit different.. certainly low cost for the performance available! Potential donor car, etc..?

S reg lightweight race Renault Clio with a full 1.8T conversion! (Still 1.2 on the logbook :ph34r: )

Spec as follows..

Originaly built by Paul Jordan of Rockets car repairs (famed for his 10sec Mk1 Scirocco)
Fully lightened 1.2 Clio bodyshell in matt black.. lightweight doors, tailgate and bonnet inc perspex windows with sliders,quick release front bumper, bonnet pins
1.8T engine bored to 1.9 with JE forged pistons, rods, Jabbasport manifold, IHI VF22 turbo, Bosch 440 green injectors, large FMIC, custom boost pipes, side exit lightweight exhaust running DTA engine management
AEM wideband
Adjustable boost
Large rev counter and auxillary gauges
6 speed O2M gearbox with Quaife diff (spare 5spd O2M also included)
Custom mounts and driveshafts
FK coilovers
Clio 172 brakes
Kirkey lightweight ally race seat and Sabelt harness
Relocated battery and battery box
1 x set of 15" alloys and tyres
1 x set of 15" steel wheels (2 x Toyo R888`s fitted - worn but ok for sprinting,etc)

This is a race car not a show car and would be a great 1/4 mile sprinter (11 sec 1/4`s achieved), track car or even a donor car for your kit..

Bargain at £3995. I`m in Chorley, Lancashire

dubbgud2me@yahoo.co.uk

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

nick205

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
That's a beastie!

beaver34

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Very good, how long you had it?
djmnr

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Had the car about 6 months, I was going to use it as a donor for the engine setup but my pal has decided to sell his track car so I`m being lazy and buying that now instead
beaver34

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Must go some! Seems a good price to me anyway
Steve Hignett

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance you'd take a 3/4 eaten bag of Haribo Starmix?

They're the sour ones!

McLannahan

posted on 8/2/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Any chance you'd take a 3/4 eaten bag of Haribo Starmix?

They're the sour ones!

OOOooo. I'll swap you my KC for those!

....done (You have been)

theduck

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
The ClioTT not seen that for a while, infact Norm still had it last time I saw it. Though have to correct the history.

It started life as a 1.2 bog standard spec, pre facelift mark 2 clio and was owned by Matt Black. It was then fitted with a 2ltr F4R and a 100shot of NOS, when the engine eventually died, he did the conversion to a standard 1.8 turbo VAG unit. As he started upgrading the engine he had cooling issues, and fitted a bonnet vent to the standard bonnet. Later he then decided to carry out the face lift conversion to give the car a better finish, and the car was at the same time painted black.

I can get more detail on history if people want or need it.

[Edited on 8/2/11 by theduck]

driveeminpushemout

posted on 9/2/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. Do you know if the car handles ok, or is it more of a drag car?
I'm thinking of changing my impreza for a track only car as I don't get to use it much anymore. I was thinking more along the lines of a locost, but my brothar has a clio cup track car and I quite like it apart from it being a bit slower than I've been used to. Would I be right in saying it has no anti roll bars? Thanks, Nathan.

macc man

posted on 9/2/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I just did a track day in my wifes mx5 and was amazed just how fast most of the Clio's were. For a cheap trackday car I
would not hesitate to buy one.

theduck

posted on 9/2/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
IMO it has too much power to be truly useable for anything other than the drag strip, also had a lot of bits chopped out to make it all fit, so chassis stiffness is compromised. Also remember this started as a 1.2, not the 172 or 182, so handling was on the backfoot from the start.
neo2

posted on 9/2/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Wow like that alot, just about a 1k short of owning it...
djmnr

posted on 9/2/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Granted, the car has been built with Santa Pod in mind and lightened substantially but nothing structural has been removed, just the usual inner door skins, etc.. It could quite easily be modified for track use and the boost wound down a bit should you wish but my pal and I both take his 400bhp Mk1 Golf to Oulton regularly and it makes for a very capable track car.
I was really thinking that it might be a good donor for someones kit.. Aeon, etc?

theduck

posted on 10/2/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Quote from the car builder below, So fair to say that structural parts have been cut away.

quote:

The car has become dangerous due to the stupid power its pushing out and the way the drive train is set up. Ive had a few near control losses at high speed and im worried im gonna write it off with me inside it. Basically the torque steer on acceleration is forcing the car to pull to the left quite violently due to the way the driveshafts are set up. Torque steer is caused by unequal driveshafts on high powered FWD cars and my shafts are different sizes and both coming out on different angles - i cant sort the problem out as there is no space to do so and ive cut and chopped away at the chassis legs so much its becoming unstable.

Link to thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?144678-End-of-the-TT&highlight=clio+tt

[Edited on 10/2/11 by theduck]

mrwibble

posted on 10/2/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Quote from the car builder below, So fair to say that structural parts have been cut away.

quote:

The car has become dangerous due to the stupid power its pushing out and the way the drive train is set up. Ive had a few near control losses at high speed and im worried im gonna write it off with me inside it. Basically the torque steer on acceleration is forcing the car to pull to the left quite violently due to the way the driveshafts are set up. Torque steer is caused by unequal driveshafts on high powered FWD cars and my shafts are different sizes and both coming out on different angles - i cant sort the problem out as there is no space to do so and ive cut and chopped away at the chassis legs so much its becoming unstable.

Link to thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?144678-End-of-the-TT&highlight=clio+tt

[Edited on 10/2/11 by theduck]

its a shopping cart with 400bhp. i reckon a golf mk 1 gti would be almost as bad with 400bhp.

its obviously had a lot of money and time spent on it, or perhaps plenty of madness.

good luck to whoever buys it.

djmnr

posted on 10/2/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Check this out for a 400bhp mk1 golf..

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=Oj6YBdXQZMs

mrwibble

posted on 10/2/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djmnr
Check this out for a 400bhp mk1 golf..

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=Oj6YBdXQZMs

link not working?

djmnr

posted on 10/2/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
sorry try this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj6YBdXQZMs

mrwibble

posted on 10/2/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
ah, yes that is a bit of a beast. perhaps someone should offer this guy £2000 and strip it for the engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.