Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Steering Column Mount Bolts
birdii

posted on 10/5/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra Steering Column Mount Bolts

As its been soooo long since i stripped the donor car i can no longer remember or find the fasteners for the Sierra steering column. The photo below shows the bit i'm talking about. Does anyone have a photo or able to describe what the bolts/bushes look like please?

[img] Column Mount
Column Mount
[/img]

Finally last night i got around to making the footwell bulkhead and steering shaft support bearing only to find that once fully welded my steering shaft is now 15mm too long!

[img] Bearing Support
Bearing Support
[/img]

Whats the best course of action to rectify?

1. Change the bearing position - this would be a real pain to do and look untidy i think.

2. Shorten the shaft using a cut sleeve and weld method

3. Shorten the shaft at the UJ. The shaft is 'peened' into the UJ which i dont really like so i am considering knocking this out, shortening the shaft and then welding the joint. I may add some weld spots to the other end too as it is alos 'peened' in position.

Any advice?

Oh, one more thing, should the transmission tunnel have a section of steel plate in the foot area or is it normal to skin the complete tunnel with ally sheet?
Cheers
Dan

The Black Flash

posted on 10/5/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the first one, on the Dax it's just M12 bolts and big washers, no bushes. The manual states that you can use the play resulting from the oversized holes on the ford bracket for fine adjustment.
Though I have wondered about making up some bushings, I guess they're not needed.

As far as the tranny tunnel goes, mines all ally and so are a number of others, I've never heard of a requirement to use steel.

big_wasa

posted on 10/5/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I turned up top-hat spacers.

You will need to leave more of a gap between uj and the bulkhead. There is no room for the column to compress. Iva fail.

I would cut and sleave the down link.

[Edited on 10/5/11 by big_wasa]

mad-butcher

posted on 10/5/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
As big-wasa says I'd want the shaft shortening by at least 75 to 100mm to allow for the rack coming towards you in event of a shunt, the idea is that the trangular shaft slides up the main steering column, It's not uncommon for people to say that the triangular piece is short when in fact the bulk of it has been for some strange reason been pushed into the column.

tony

[Edited on 10/5/11 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
birdii

posted on 10/5/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info!

So roughly how much of the shaft should be inserted into the steering column, about half or less?

The photo below shows the position with approximately 50mm inserted.

[img] Steering Shaft 2
Steering Shaft 2
[/img]

Does this look like too much pulled out?

Thanks again!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.