Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What rear brake discs for VAG/Sierra setup?
Mr C

posted on 1/1/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
What rear brake discs for VAG/Sierra setup?

I've rear volkswagen calipers fitted to my project bolted straight on to the bearing carrier and originally had 253x10 discs fitted with resulting pad overhang. I've fitted 273x10 cosworth 500 discs though now have underhang as the Pad contact area is narrower than the disc, with a machined rebate on the disc face around the bell. I did a search on the forum and found a suggestion to use drilled/slotted discs which I guess won't have the rebate. Does anyone have a part number/ brand that would suffice as when searching I can't find images of the actual discs I need only promotional images etc.

With thanks

[Edited on 1/1/12 by Mr C]

[Edited on 1/1/12 by Mr C]

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

v8kid

posted on 1/1/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you remove some of the friction material from the inner part of the pad? Just use a normal wood routing bit and avoid breathing the dust - it will bu66er the bit but they are cheap as chips. This will also have the advantage of making the mean radius greater with better braking.

May wear unevenly but rear brakes on a locost are not used much really so should not be a significant problem.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr C

posted on 1/1/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Can't you remove some of the friction material from the inner part of the pad? Just use a normal wood routing bit and avoid breathing the dust - it will bu66er the bit but they are cheap as chips. This will also have the advantage of making the mean radius greater with better braking.

May wear unevenly but rear brakes on a locost are not used much really so should not be a significant problem.

Cheers!

I would prefer even wear and disc contact across the whole of the pad area, not sure what you mean with the radius thing, I would have thought with brakes that by removing material you would reduce the braking efficiency. The brakes are on a mid engined set up, pictured below with 273 discs in place.

Cheers

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

daniel mason

posted on 1/1/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
is that the impreza based sdr storm your building mate? if so hows it going and did you have a test run in the demonstrator? will be keen to know your thoughts please! looks like a quality kit

Mr C

posted on 1/1/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
is that the impreza based sdr storm your building mate? if so hows it going and did you have a test run in the demonstrator? will be keen to know your thoughts please! looks like a quality kit

My build blog is:

http://scoobystorm.tumblr.com/ it pretty much covers everything. its not been an easy kit to build tbh, lots of quality issues and parts delays amongst other things, but I won't bore you or hijack my own thread with them. One of the positive aspects of this is meeting some fellow builders who are great great people along the way though.

Its nearly there, hoping to be on the road by Easter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.