Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Grandchildren how wonderfull they are
mad-butcher

posted on 13/5/12 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Grandchildren how wonderfull they are

sitting in a chair with my 7 month old grandson on my knee, iphone and ipod on arm of chair, fast as lightning an arm shoots out grabs my ipod and buries it into my iphone,

[img] cracked iphone glass
cracked iphone glass
[/img]

Slightly OT has any-one replaced the glass themselves, seems quite simple according to you tube videos, bits are availiable on ebay but unsure as whether to just do the screen or get the kit that includes the frame with the glass already attatched

[Edited on 13/5/12 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 13/5/12 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
You won't do that again!

regarding getting it fixed.
I took my wifes 3gs apart to repair the camera.
The screws are miniscule and all different.
The little ribbon connectors are real tough (especially if like me you don't disassemble correctly)

I think the front is easier than the camera as there is less disassembly (with the camera you have to unglue the battery) so you might be alright. There are some useful videos on youtube showing how to take them apart.

There are various places that fix iphones at good prices www.iphonerepairs.co.uk (for example).

omega0684

posted on 13/5/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
there not that difficult to replace, loads of "how to's" on You Tube, i did my nokia touch screen and took about 15 minutes. only thing i would is make sure you take care when lining up the pressure pad for the screen on reassembly.

HTH's

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Proby

posted on 13/5/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done a few iphone repairs, including a full back case replacement (daunting first time around as EVERYTHING is attached to the back case!). The front glass is simple to replace, just take your time, do it on a nice clean desk/table. The ribbon cables are very delicate.
gremlin1234

posted on 13/5/12 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
getting the old glass out is more of a problem than sticking the new one in **, heating it certainly helps.
cost about £7 for a new screen.
certainly worth considering screen and frame together

** tiny shards stuck to a plastic backing

also ensure you have copied your photos etc before you start

RAYLEE29

posted on 13/5/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,proper pita to do the whole back but screen on it's own is just two screws get the whole screen to be safe got one from backwater something off the bay
The screen comes out of the chrome outer the chrome bit stays in the back of the phone took me ages to figure that out and nearly trashed the phone trying it the wrong way.
Ray

build diary1
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/RoadsterPics#
build diary2
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/KITCARPICS?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2AouyYgpuQmAE#

Andybarbet

posted on 13/5/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Did my sons ipod touch screen a few weeks ago, old glass is a pig to get out but the new glass & touch screen went in fine.

Another vote to buy the surround too, i didnt & i had to faff around with the surround as it ended up in 4 pieces !

My boy was over the moon with the finished result, you wouldnt even know ide done it

mad-butcher

posted on 14/5/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, ended up going for a screen and tools, then had a change of heart and ordered the ready assembled one complete with mid tray, and then when I'm more confident I can do the screen without fear of fcuking the job up, it's the 3 cables that have me concerned
thefreak

posted on 14/5/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Just be gentle with them. I managed to pull the ribbon cable away from the plug which meant a new screen.
Replacing them is pretty straight forward, just note which screw came from where. The kit should come with a small sucker with a ring attached to help pop the screen off.
Get on youtube and watch a couple of videos and have them to hand when you're doing it. If you can build a car, I'm sure you can change a screen on a phone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.