Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Going round in circles
Mark Allanson

posted on 21/9/02 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Going round in circles

Started building the chassis while I am looking for a donor car. Its getting to a point where I will have to stop until I have bought something.
I have considered almost everything from Lada, Alfa 75, Merc 190, but I think it will have to be a Sierra, making my own IRS.
Next problem, which Sierra? I have read on the site that the CVH is impossible to fit, the DOHC is too big, and the Pinto is too tall.
Bollocks!
I need inspiration, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez help me out
PS Which Sierra hub converters do you recommend, the Dunc ones seem very short in relation to the others available

rallyslag

posted on 21/9/02 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
CVH is impossible to fit, the DOHC is too big, and the Pinto is too tall

well mate if i can get a Chevy V8 in mine (altho not done it yet but i will) im sure you can get any old ford engine in
and cvh shouldnt be too hard to fit?

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 21/9/02 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Damn,

The Pinto is too tall?

Best go and drag it out now, why didn't someone tell me before I built it?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/9/02 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
think fate might have been telling you that when the first one comitted suicide

most if not all engines are too tall for a car like a seven. either something needs to get cut down, like the sump, or ditching the efi, or poking carbs out of the car, or you make the car taller.

or, as far as i can tell, fit a xflow, as they seem to be pretty low.

isnt a bike engine low slung too?

atb

steve

rallyslag

posted on 22/9/02 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
dunno about most but i intend on having a big old supercharger popping out the top of the body work anyway

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimmy

posted on 22/9/02 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I thought about many engine options before I started to build but decided the sensible route for simplicity.
I wanted at least a two litre lump(pinto) and mine came with donnor (2 Litre capri).
I realised that lots of builders have used this engine gearbox (4 speed),and if I got stuck during my build,lots of people have been there seen it worn the 'T'shirt,and would be able to point me in the right direction.
The two litre capri was no slouch,as I drove it around a bit before I took it apart,so in a car considerably lighter and better handling it should bo wick enough for the time being.
As far as engine height, just look at Jim Mcsorley's plans which I have used,my chassis is 4"longer 4" wider and 2" taller which will help a lot but I am sure with any engine application some modifing of some sort will be required.
I'm just concentrating on building my car as well and cheaply as possiple with a good level of trim,nice interior seats etc nice alloys ,and most important of all getting through the SVA.
If I decide I want more power at a later date I will source a rover V8 and put that in as it is about same weight as pinto?
Cheers Jimmy

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/9/02 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies lads,
I know all the Sierra engines can be made to fit, I would prefer to fit the DOHC if possible, as all the injection or carbs are below the level of the cam cover and it has decent power in unmodded form.
What I would like to know is what chassis mods I will need to make (tranny tunnel etc), do I need to move the alternator - that sort of stuff. I am about to put in the verticals for the tranny tunnel now and dont really want to start cutting stuff out after I have found a donor.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/9/02 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
i think you have a good choice if you can make it fit. However, i dont think many people on here have used a dohc.

as far as moving alternators, you will probably only know what fouls what when you put the engine in.

dont do too far in your build without having engine and tranny for trial fit. You will end up hacking stuff about!

Atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/9/02 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Steve

As luck would have it, we had one (early DOHC carb sierra) dragged into work this morning, the alternator will DEFINATELY have to be moved, it is about 20" out from the centreline and runs on a 1" multi V belt along with the waterpump on the n/s.
Main problem is it has a MT75 box which looks very wide. I think it would be best to start of with a 1.8 CVH with type 9 to begin with (and for SVA) and the mod about a bit later.
I have heard that the CVH will be difficult to fit, but I cannot see why!

Unless you know different!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.