Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wilwood caliper bleed nipple holder thread size
NS Dev

posted on 11/3/13 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
wilwood caliper bleed nipple holder thread size

anybody know what size the thread is on the outside of wilwood caliper bleed nipple holders? I suspect its 3/8" unf but I'm hoping with crossed fingers that they are 7/16"!!

I have £6000 worth of AP WRC calipers that some tossers have failed to recently open the bleed nipples on, or use anti-seize, or indeed fit new waterproofing o-rings on on the occasion many millenia ago when they were last bled!! Consequently the bare steel nipples are now very much a part of the caliper!! Particularly irratating as a company was paid to run the car!!

Drilling out and fitting adaptors is pretty much the only option left, as they are all shearing off, and even the mac tools extractor, plus ingersoll rand titanium impact gun, won't shift the remnants (amazingly the mac extractor will stand the impact gun, but eventually it rips the inside surface out of the bleed nipple without undoing it

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Pat_T

posted on 11/3/13 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nat, these might work?

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/brake-caliper-brass-bleed-screw-nipple-m10-x-1-length-3741mm-p-250831.html?zenid=61ef10bafc26414b95eb33f976d3c923

they do a 7/16 version too.

Also this is that other supplier I was talking about earlier, you might find them useful occasionally
http://www.qimtek.co.uk/profile/clint_hill_engineering-109SLX40298.html

cheers
Pat

www.instagram.com/patroclueus

ashg

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
send them back to ap and get them re worked then forward the bill to the offending company.

i have managed to drill right down the middle of a bleed nipple in the past to the point where there is very little of it left without damaging the thread then get a very fine punch on the edge of the remnants and bash it inwards, may take a while but it works every time.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

NS Dev

posted on 12/3/13 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat_T
Nat, these might work?

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/brake-caliper-brass-bleed-screw-nipple-m10-x-1-length-3741mm-p-250831.html?zenid=61ef10bafc26414b95eb33f976d3c923

they do a 7/16 version too.

Also this is that other supplier I was talking about earlier, you might find them useful occasionally
http://www.qimtek.co.uk/profile/clint_hill_engineering-109SLX40298.html

cheers
Pat

Thanks Pat!

Did you make it home without freezing to death!!??

(he drove over in the Locost in the snow!!)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 12/3/13 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
send them back to ap and get them re worked then forward the bill to the offending company.

i have managed to drill right down the middle of a bleed nipple in the past to the point where there is very little of it left without damaging the thread then get a very fine punch on the edge of the remnants and bash it inwards, may take a while but it works every time.

Very tempting, but I don't personally have enough background on the car's history. The owner just trusted them to sort the car, and paid the bills when he got them.

We are now doing most of the work on it, having built it up (Steve Lancaster did the 'shell, and a FANTASTIC job of it too I have to say!) we will be sorting it between events I think.

I have drilled through one of the bleed nipples, but the bottom section is so corroded in that it just won't loosen without risking damage to the seat.

Have now found the wilwood thread sizes, M10 (no good) and 1/8 npt, (ideal! )

Will drill all the blled screws out, right through into the chambers, then drill and tap out the top section to 1/8npt and fit wilwood adaptors and nipples to all of them, then reseal all the calipers!

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/3/13 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a pic of my Willwood nips broke twice while trying to remove them

[img] Bleed nipple near disaster
Bleed nipple near disaster
[/img]

I replaced the whole lot with a single one piece stainless bleed nipple, size on mine was m10 x 1.0

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.