Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternators - which one is smallest??
Nick Skidmore

posted on 7/4/14 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Alternators - which one is smallest??

I have a need for an alternator of 30A minimum but needs to be as small as poss. and perhaps single wire for simplicity?? (do these need an alternator light to excite??)

I've looked on ebay but it's difficult to get an idea of physical size from the listings so tought I would tap the resource of endless knowledge!!

All suggestions gratefully received

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ugg10

posted on 7/4/14 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I used a Daewoo Matiz on on my Fisher Fury Zetec and that worked OK. Probably best to go down your local scrappers/dismantlers and have a look on their shelves. As for wires it is always useful to have the charge wire connected up to a light on the dash (this was an SVA requirement when I put mine through the test).

Hope this helps.

loggyboy

posted on 7/4/14 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Generally the Nipon Denso ones are the smallest. The smallest commonly found is from Diahatsu's Charade IIRC.
Apparently there are low quality chinese rip offs of these about, so beware.
Kubato (sp) often get mentioned but I have read these are aimed at agricultural market and as such arent rated for high revs.

Mistral Motorsport

big_wasa

posted on 7/4/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
What's a big bike alternator putting out these days ? They don't get any smaller.
Thatcher

posted on 7/4/14 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Alternators....

Hi,

I was in the same boat just a few weeks ago and found this alternator from a auto electrical supplier in Daventry called Autostart if I am not mistaken. It is small and light with a 45 amp output for most racing and kit cars and was a smidge over £100 with the vat and change of pulley.

Hope this helps

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r743/tony1968cars/Mobile%20Uploads/20140304_201314_zps1bb2a0e6.jpg

Tony.

Ive seen 200 plus amp alternators before and not much bigger but very exspensive.....

[Edited on 7/4/14 by Thatcher]

velocitykendal

posted on 7/4/14 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
As has been mentioned a Denso is what you're after. You'll find them in scrapyards/eBay off stuff like the Daihatsu Charade or Hijet as well as Kubota plant machinery. There's various model numbers around the 40 - 50amp mark. I'd pay around £30 - 40 for a second hand one or they can be bought new for about a ton. They take a 15mm pulley, the Cosworth Duratec one that Burton sell fits nicely and is an appropriate diameter in most cases.

Personally I would only buy genuine Denso. I bought what was advertised as a Denso from Autostart (mentioned above) via eBay and what turned up was a Chinese copy. I sent it straight back with a message about false advertising, so my advise would be to avoid them.

19sac65

posted on 7/4/14 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I used a denso kabuta one on my zetec
I asked an electrician and he said that the only thing that would be effected by revs is the bearings and cant see them going to the bother of fitting different ones
Its more likely to be the pulley diameter as a tractor will rev far lower and so will need the alt to spin quicker to charge
Theres quite a few different ways theyre wired
Go on the brise site for info - theyre just nippon ones
Mine was £50 new,delivered off ebay and its great

[Edited on 7/4/14 by 19sac65]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.