Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Play in driveshafts ? How much is ok
tegwin

posted on 19/2/17 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Play in driveshafts ? How much is ok

Just dropping the driveshafts off my 2001 polo to change the clutch and notice rotational play in both inner cvs. Is this normal? How much play is ok?

I'd not noticed any unusual noises when driving but seems daft to put faulty parts back on....

Assuming this isn't right what's the best option? Can cvs be replaced or would a new shaft make more sense ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

bonzoronnie

posted on 19/2/17 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I guess a small amount of play is acceptable.

Personally if there is any doubt, I would change them while you have them out.
I would be gutted If in a few months time I had to change the cv joints.

Assuming you mean the outer cv joints, yes they are replaceable.

Check out ebay item no: 170667167204

I had a set from this seller for a Golf GTI, no issues with them during the last 3 years since they were fitted ( Friends Car )

tegwin

posted on 19/2/17 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, hard to decide really. It's been an expensive weekend as it is with new clutch, brakes all round, service and some gear linkages

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

tegwin

posted on 19/2/17 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
On closer inspection both inner joints have the same amount of play. It appears that where the inner cv sits on the splined shaft there is play at that point. Could be damaged spline on the cv or worse on the shaft itself. Is it normal to had a little bit of play between the splines?

Bluemoon

posted on 19/2/17 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
On closer inspection both inner joints have the same amount of play. It appears that where the inner cv sits on the splined shaft there is play at that point. Could be damaged spline on the cv or worse on the shaft itself. Is it normal to had a little bit of play between the splines?

I would leave well alone, unless you know how much is acceptable.. If it's the same on both sides it's probably "normal"..

Dan

tegwin

posted on 19/2/17 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
That's rather my thought, il change the offending boot and leave them alone and see what happens...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.