Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Sierra diff experts?
Nickp

posted on 17/5/17 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Any Sierra diff experts?

So, I've bought a 3.14 open diff to sort the gearing on my Haynes. Had a nightmare stripping it, but that's another story!!
I've used its case complete with pinion as I didn't want to mess with this and only wanted to set the backlash. I fitted the crown wheel to my LSD and used the bearing caps that came with the LSD. I set the backlash and preloaded the bearings, all OK.
However, when I've been turning the diff over using the nut on the drive flange it came loose very easy. The guide I've been using says that this should be tightened to 110nm after the pinion has been set up. But when I tighten it the pinon begins to become very tight to turn. Something doesn't seem right, am I missing something?
This is the guide I've been using-

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/rearaxle/DiffOverhaul.pdf

obfripper

posted on 17/5/17 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
The guide you have is for a shimmed preload pinion bearing type which is torqued to a preset torque, i think you may have a crush tube preload type pinion which requires a different type of setup.
The crush tube type requires the nut to be tightened to give a specific turning resistance at the drive flange, usually measured with a spring balance pulling a string around the outside of the drive flange.
Once the required turning force is achieved the pinion nut is staked into position, the force varies depending upon what new parts have been fitted.

Dave

Nickp

posted on 17/5/17 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
The guide you have is for a shimmed preload pinion bearing type which is torqued to a preset torque, i think you may have a crush tube preload type pinion which requires a different type of setup.
The crush tube type requires the nut to be tightened to give a specific turning resistance at the drive flange, usually measured with a spring balance pulling a string around the outside of the drive flange.
Once the required turning force is achieved the pinion nut is staked into position, the force varies depending upon what new parts have been fitted.

Dave

Ahhh right, that kinda makes sense. Diffs all built up now so I'm a bit limited what I can do regarding measuring it. Can probably just adjust it until I start to feel a difference. Need to make sure the nut is locking and add loctite as it wont be very tight I guess? Strangely the nut on the other diff I have is very tight but the pinion spins easily.

obfripper

posted on 17/5/17 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Looking closer, there is a nut underneath the drive flange which sets the preload. Under normal circumstances tightening the drive flange nut should not affect the preload as the flange should bear on the back of the (tightened) preload nut, and the drive splines will prevent the flange turning the preload nut further under friction.

You could remove the drive flange and just check the nut underneath is not obviously loose or has stripped threads, it will not harm anything to do so, (they're the only reasons i can think of for the flange nut making the pinion tight to turn and would point to prior maladjustment) but readjusting ideally needs the special tools to set the preload, a new crush sleeve and oil seal, and would need the diff removed from the casing.

I'm sure the older haynes manual had the procedure to set the preload using alternative tools in the way previously described, the force required can be calculated from the turning torques given for the special tool and the circumference of the flange.
The only thing which isn't adjustable without the special tools is the pinion depth, but that only needs touching if the bearing or pinion is replaced.

I would look to get the setup as right as possible while things are apart to maximise the diff life.

Dave

CosKev3

posted on 18/5/17 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
The inner nut to set the pinion is left hand thread,the drive flange retaining nut is normal right hand thread.

Must be the inner nut is not locked in position?

[Edited on 18/5/17 by CosKev3]

Nickp

posted on 18/5/17 at 05:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
The inner nut to set the pinion is left hand thread,the drive flange retaining nut is normal right hand thread.

Must be the inner nut is not locked in position?

Ta, I'll get the drive flange off (when I find my puller!!) and have a look.

mark chandler

posted on 18/5/17 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
You can recover the crush washer, just push over a metal rod, big bolt or similar and gentle tap the swollen bit to restore some of its length.
Nickp

posted on 18/5/17 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Problem solved. Someone had fitted a new front seal but hadn't knocked it in far enough. As I tightened it up it was pushing against the seal and locking the diff up. Inner nut looked fine and is nicely locked up.

Sorry, just to confirm, they'd fitted the pinion seal back to front!!

[Edited on 18/5/17 by Nickp]

CosKev3

posted on 18/5/17 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the pinion seal does look like it's in the wrong way around,but it's meant to be like that!
Nickp

posted on 18/5/17 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
IIRC the pinion seal does look like it's in the wrong way around,but it's meant to be like that!

Exactly. Never seen one before but the rubber lip didn't make sense the way it was. Thought about it then stripped my current diff flange and confirmed my thoughts. Luckily had a new one and it's all back together now. The joys of holding a diff in one hand whilst trying to slot the bolts in!! Good job I've been to the gym!!

CosKev3

posted on 18/5/17 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah they are awkward!

I can see how someone would put it in the wrong way though tbh,as I've never seen a seal of that type on anything else in back to front!

Nickp

posted on 18/5/17 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeah they are awkward!

I can see how someone would put it in the wrong way though tbh,as I've never seen a seal of that type on anything else in back to front!

True, but not if they'd took the old one out
I knew something wasn't right even though it kinda looked right

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.