Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recent car purchase advice please!
russbost

posted on 22/5/17 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Recent car purchase advice please!

Friends of mine purchased a Renault Espace 1.9Dci 2005 over the w/e, about 20 miles after leaving dealer the engine warning light came on & went into limp home. After stopping & checking stuff over, when restarted drove fine (dealer was now shut & couldn't contact them), it did this a couple more times on the way home & they called AA who checked it over & read codes

It's coming up with glow plug fault code (which I think is one that comes up on many other code faults) & turbo pressure sensor code - you can see the pressure sensor in the turbo piping between intercooler & turbo, & it is obviously brand new, has just been changed - on closer inspection the intake air pipes are all coated with oil - looks as though turbo is on it's last legs, that was also AA guys opinion - looks as tho' the dealer has tried to cover this up by fitting new sensor & hoping it would last long enough not to give them a problem

So they are obviously contacting the dealer this morning, question is are they better just to take the vehicle back & demand money back (I believe they are entitled to do this?) or, if dealer is prepared to pay for repair do they get the turbo replaced (recon can be bought for around £200 on Ebay with 12 month warranty) & get it repaired locally (dealer is about 100 miles away) - if so what else needs doing at same time, obviously oil & filter, but what about turbo pipes etc - also is there likely to be other damage as yet unseen. If dealer refuses money back, what can they actually do at that point? Unfortunately was paid in cash rather than card

Vehicle is 2005 with 80,000 on the clock, backed up by MoT mileages, but I seriously doubt has been serviced regularly as turbo failure would seem very premature, it was sold with a "warranty" up to £500, but I very much doubt any warranty company is going to cough up for what is obviously wear & tear & on the day after it left the dealer!

Any suggestions & info welcomed

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 22/5/17 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Refund and try again.

Mistral Motorsport

WallerZero

posted on 22/5/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I picked up a used Alfa 159 from a used car dealer that had the check engine light come on on the way home (had been fine on the very short test drive). I called them up the next day and they told me it was not their problem and to go through the warranty which had a excess of whatever amount on there. I told them again the issue came on during the journey home so either very unfortunate coincidence or they knew about it which there very aggressive initial response suggested they did.

As they refused any responsibility as a seller I threw down the trading standards card or a full refund plus costs and suddenly their attitude changed and they were covering my excess on the warranty claim having already cleared everything with the warranty company first. Oh and the issue was a sensor on the way out. But it could also have been the timing chain which would also have been covered by my warranty.

End of the day if it happened on the test drive you'd walk away and they'd either fix it or leave it and reduce the price. On the way home or even within 100 miles I'd claim the car was faulty and tell the seller to sort it or refund me the full amount. Trading standards is usually a good read before you start throwing it around though, just in case

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

Paul_Arion

posted on 22/5/17 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
As above, i'd also reject the car and buy elsewhere myself. The Consumer Rights Act since October 2015 gives more rights on 2nd hand car purchases - and the right to reject a car within 30 days of purchase.

Linky

Stevie_P

posted on 22/5/17 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Does sound like the turbo.

I guess how to play it depends on whether they really like the car or not?

I agree 80K for a turbo sounds like an early failure. Could this be down to lack of maintenance (worth checking the service records).

If they like the car and can get the dealer to fix then great but I think I would be going for the refund option (less a contribution for use though sounds like this would be pretty small given they've just driven it home)

Only thing left to say if good luck. Hopefully the dealer is OK but it could turn in to a poo storm....

Steve

Ben_Copeland

posted on 22/5/17 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Refund, awful car. Very bad reliability history get out now while they still can.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

russbost

posted on 22/5/17 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
So far all the dealer has said is "ring the warranty company"

Is there any way they can force them to hand back money without having to go thro' the courts? If they resort to court action what happens to the car in the meantime?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 22/5/17 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Is there any way they can force them to hand back money without having to go thro' the courts? If they resort to court action what happens to the car in the meantime?

No, If dealer isnt willing there is no way to force them - other than courts.
Best option would be to take car back and sit in the dealership until they agree to honour the consumer rights act. - its amazing what effect a vocal customer has on other customers.
Assuming he has a trading premises - if not then ensure you know the wording, take a copy of the act and he will give in eventually.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand--car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

Rejecting a second-hand car

If there's a problem with a second-hand car soon after you've bought it - for example, the car develops a problem you wouldn't expect for the car's age and mileage, or it turns out not to be what you’d been led to expect - you may have the right to reject it and get your money back.

If you bought the car after 1 October 2015, you only have 30 days to reject a second-hand car and get a full refund under the Consumer Rights Act.

Cars bought before 1 October 2015, come under the Sale of Goods Act, which states that you must have rejected the car within a reasonable time frame.

While there's no clear definition of what a reasonable time is in the Sale of Goods Act, it probably needed to be within three to four weeks – less if it was an obvious problem.

And if you reject a second-hand car you must stop using it immediately.

[Edited on 22-5-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Paul_Arion

posted on 22/5/17 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

The dealer cant simply wash his hands of it - and the warantee company may well decline a claim given that they could say it was a pre-existing fault. Seems pretty obvious that the dealer is now breaching consumer law

If the dealer is still refusing a refund then a call to Trading Standards should soon resolve it - needs to be done through Citizens Advice though.

russbost

posted on 22/5/17 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I agree he can't wash his hands of it, but unfortunately like pretty much all of our consumer rights legislation it is virtually toothless, at least in the short term when someone chooses to ignore it.

This isn't a large dealer, but nevertheless I wouldn't have thought he'd want someone sat in his office for hours on end telling everyone he's a cowboy!

theconrodkid

posted on 22/5/17 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
never know what next week / month will bring and having dealt with waranty companies in the past,it truley is easier to get blood out of the proverbial stone.
i would reject the car and look elsewhere.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.