Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Disc & Pad Options
Davedew

posted on 3/1/18 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Brake Disc & Pad Options

I currently have the standard Sierra 260mm discs & pads fitted to my Haynes Roadster.
Recently upgraded the engine to a 2.0 Zetec so thought I should maybe upgrade the brakes as well.

Been looking at the National 8 discs and Mintex 1144 pads on the Burtons website.

http://www.burtonpower.com/discs-f-8g-ford-sierra-xr4i-rs-turbo-pbd052g.html

http://www.burtonpower.com/brake-pads-xr4-rst-sierra-abs-mk5-rs2000-mdb1236m1144.html

Just after opinions on these items / alternatives worth looking at.

Cheers

Dave

SJ

posted on 3/1/18 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'm surprised you find the brakes lacking. Mine are standard Sierra disk / drum brakes with EBC pads and seem fine. Maybe you drive faster than me though!
Davedew

posted on 3/1/18 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I've no idea of the age pads as they were the ones that came with the donor. I presume they are just standard OEM equivalents.

You mention you run EBC pads. Which ones are you using.

SJ

posted on 3/1/18 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've got EBC Yellow stuff, which seem to work really well for me. What master cylinder are you running? The biggest improvement I made to my brakes was to go for a 19mm from the standard 22mm Sierra one.

Stu

Davedew

posted on 3/1/18 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Standard Sierra MC at the moment.
What cylinder did you end up using and how much of a job was it to convert?

WallerZero

posted on 3/1/18 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
As always with kits and brakes, just remember your donor system was designed to stop a car twice, if not 3 times, the weight of the kit. Standard items will be fine. Cheapest and easiest is new standard items (especially if the pads are from your donor!?!?). If you can lock up the wheels, your brakes are fine.

I'm on Mx5 standard parts and can lock up no problem. My next step is stickier rubber!

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

SJ

posted on 3/1/18 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Standard Sierra MC at the moment.
What cylinder did you end up using and how much of a job was it to convert?

I used a Fiat 124 non servo cylinder (about £20 to buy new). Many people use an early Fiesta item which is probably an easier swap.

Mine just involved re drilling & modifying the mounting holes to physically mount the MC and remaking of the brake pipe connections as the threads were different plus a new remote reservoir.

The smaller m/c takes away the rock solid pedal feel and the need to have legs like Chris Froome, and gives a lot more feel, progression & power.

Charlie C

posted on 3/1/18 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I did have the Mintex 1144 pads but they were shockly noisy so i swapped to Ferodo DS2500, both pads brake really well I've never had brake fade or problem stopping.

On my Haynes I'm have OBP peddle box with 2x master cylinder i cant remeber the sizes with Wilwood Midilite 4 Pot on the front and sierra disc on the rear.

Davedew

posted on 3/1/18 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the feedback.

I've just gone and bought some Brembo standard discs while Eurocarparts still have their 50% off sale.
Heard good things about Ferodo DS2500's so have ordered a set of them from Burton.

Maybe keep a MC upgrade in mind for next winter.

Cheers

Nickp

posted on 3/1/18 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've got EBC 'Greenstuff' (which are widely regarded as been pants, but they came with the calipers I bought ) in the front of my very quick BMW engined Haynes, and I'm yet to have an issue on road or track

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.