Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clearance for ITBS... Master cylinder..?
Beardy

posted on 28/7/18 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
Clearance for ITBS... Master cylinder..?

Miata based Exomotive Exocet being built by long term Locostbuilder lurker.

I have a LHD Miata based kit with an Ecotec LE5 2.4 ('merican lump) that I am fitting with ITBs (in the USA). Clearance between the rearmost ITB, and the master cylinder is tight. Forward end of master cylinder has a port on both sides for the front brakes. A single rear port goes to the rear brakes (via an adjustable pressure limiter). The fitting that connects to the port on the engine side is the real problem... The fitting sticks out too far towards the engine and jams into the air filter.

Is it kosher to block the port on the engine side of the master cylinder and feed both front brakes via the single port on the outer side of the cylinder?

With both ports "unpopulated" you can look straight across from one to the other through the cylinder -so physically there is no difference. Amount of fluid actually moving hen you put your foot on the brakes is modest, but is the restriction of feeding both front calipers from a single port an issue?

thanks
Beardy

rusty nuts

posted on 28/7/18 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
Could you use a Bango type fitting for extra clearance ? Failing that I have seen bung's come with new master cylinders in the past for when a port is not needed , so in theory using just one port would work.Are they available across the pond? I can't say I've seen them for sale separately though.
Beardy

posted on 28/7/18 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
The port on the engine side of the master cylinder is not machined flat so a banjo is no go.

I've heard of people blocking Master cylinder ports up when converting from ABS to non-ABS. I don't have any concerns that it wont work, but I was wondering whether its 'OK' to pump fluid for both front calipers through one port of the master cylinder... I know its not a lot of fluid moving about, on the other hand I am running Wilwood four pots...

rusty nuts

posted on 28/7/18 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have in the past been supplied with new replacement master cylinders that come with more ports than the original master cylinder and bung's to block off any unused ports. I think that as the master cylinder manufacturers sometimes do it that way it would be OK on your car. There may be a slight restriction due to port size but I doubt it would cause any problems, after all , car manufacturers used single port master cylinders for years ,

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.