Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor Source for Instruments/Dials
rufus357

posted on 18/1/19 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Donor Source for Instruments/Dials

Need to tap into collective wisdom please

I want to achieve a vintage racer look or perhaps a modern take on vintage racer with the dash.

I am assuming that its a complete non-starter to try and use some of the lovely and cheap dial clusters from modern Mercedes etc? However sourcing genuine vintage or reproduction dials looks prohibitively expensive.

Are there any donors that are old enough to have the big round dial look and and not be powered by microchips that make them inaccessible. Something like maybe an old XJ or XJS maybe?

I dont want to spend several hundred on a kit car dial set that i dont really like if i can avoid it.

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/1/19 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
plenty of cheapish 60/70s dials about. Smiths/jaegar etc from british cars of the era. Or are we talking 40's style?
Be aware electronic tachos we a little rare before the 70's,they were often cable drive from the dizzy.

nick205

posted on 21/1/19 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know how they're driven, but Peugeot 205 GTI dasboards have speedo, tacho, fuel, coolant temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauages. They're all in a pod so it might take some ingenuity to get them mounted in a visually pleasing way, but there's certainly a good selection of gauges in them.

jps

posted on 21/1/19 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Stot on the Haynes forum did some impressive work on his MX5 cluster-turning them upside down and printing new labels to change the look of them - see here: http://forums.haynes.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12492&page=10
rufus357

posted on 21/1/19 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - some good options.

What I am not understanding is how do I know which instruments I could use for a Zetec and which ones I wouldn't be able to get working? if I could make a 205 or MX5 dials work why not some Mercedes AMG ones? If it makes a difference I plane to be using the std ford ecu.

I appreciate that this is probably a stupid question!

nick205

posted on 21/1/19 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking the newer the car the gauges come from the more they'll be under some control from the ECU of the donor car. That may make it harder for you to control them achieve accurate readings.
rufus357

posted on 21/1/19 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I'm thinking the newer the car the gauges come from the more they'll be under some control from the ECU of the donor car. That may make it harder for you to control them achieve accurate readings.

That’s my thoughts too. But I am wondering if there is a way of knowing what will and won’t work?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.