Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Planning and purchasing property
tegwin

posted on 22/1/19 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Planning and purchasing property

I know a lot of you have experience in this area so curious if anyone can help.

I am looking at buying a small building with a thin strip of outside land. It used to be a garage for a sizeable house. The house is now converted into apartments and the grounds extensively built on.

From what I can gather the developer is now selling this garage. I think it has potential for use as a tiny little house.

It’s up for auction in a few weeks and I’m tempted to take a punt but if I can’t get PP to change it’s use into a home Id be in trouble.

I’m curious as to why the developer has not done this and perhaps they can’t get permission which is why they are selling... or they don’t see it as being worth their while as it’s so small.

If they have tried in the past is there any way of knowing and finding out the rejection reasons?

Alternatively is there any way of ascertaining the likelihood of getting PP?

It’d be a financial stretch to buy the place but if it worked out it would be a nice (if tiny) place to live.

Welcome and thoughts?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/1/19 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Your council should have a planning register online where you can see planning applications, going back some years.

Our council used to have a free walk-in system for a short planning consultation meeting with a planning officer, and they were helpful (though now cost and a long appointment times, several weeks at best)

Also speak to the auctioneers, they are usually very helpful and know the background, or get a buyers pack.

But I very much agree, a developer will milk every penny from every opportunity, so that does leave the question why is it being sold.

Another possibility is to consult a local architect with a lot of local knowledge. They will know if planning will be possible. Obviously expect this to cost...

[Edited on 22/1/19 by cliftyhanger]

ianhurley20

posted on 22/1/19 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure about your council but most have all the planning applications online along with all letters and other documentation - perhaps the planning dept online is the first place to look for history of the plot

and after a quick search they are online
https://planning.plymouth.gov.uk/online-applications/

[Edited on 22/1/19 by ianhurley20]

tegwin

posted on 22/1/19 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ian,

The property I’m looking at isn’t in Plymouth but I’m sure the same applies elsewhere.

Il have a dig and see what I can find. I also, as you say, need to speak to the auction house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Sam_68

posted on 22/1/19 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I run a combined architectural practice and planning consultancy, with our own Chartered Planner.

If you want to PM me details of the site, I'll check the Planning history and give what advice I can.

...But if it's as small as you imply, it's possible that it's just not been worth the developer's while to do anything with it.

russbost

posted on 22/1/19 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
As already said, talk to auctioneers & local planning. One reason it may not have been developed by the existing co. could be that with modern building regs being very different to those that an older garage was built too, it may simply not be a practical economical proposition to do all the necessary to satisfy planning/building regs

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/19 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
There are regulations for required parking space, windows looking onto other house that may get in your way

Also check if there are services running under the garage, it may have been a garage for a good reason, sewers, power cables, water mains septic tanks. Never go on the assumption the ground is empty, you'd be amazed at the amount of services are buried. Check official site boundary's, these are often not updated and you don't want half you house to be on someone else's garden.

Why do you want a tiny house? could you build a two story house instead, that will increase the value and market for the house while only costing slightly more. The regulations these days can make house building a real chore.

[Edited on 22/1/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 22/1/19 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Also check if there are services running under the garage, it may have been a garage for a good reason, sewers, power cables, water mains septic tanks. Never go on the assumption the ground is empty, you'd be amazed at the amount of services are buried. Check official site boundary's, these are often not updated and you don't want half you house to be on someone else's garden.

Reminds me of our house.

After I stuck a pick through the gas main (9" below the surface in a flower bed!). I got the repairmen to run their 'scanner' over the drive to see what else was under there. They found 11 different 'lines' towards the house!

Only when we dug up the drive to block pave did we realise that a lot of these were a metal bed frame someone had buried under the concrete!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/1/19 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Reminds me of our house.

After I stuck a pick through the gas main (9" below the surface in a flower bed!). I got the repairmen to run their 'scanner' over the drive to see what else was under there. They found 11 different 'lines' towards the house!

Only when we dug up the drive to block pave did we realise that a lot of these were a metal bed frame someone had buried under the concrete!

We built 4 houses in a field in-between two rows of houses, unfortunately the water mains for each house was unmarked and scattered randomly across the site, we had a box of pipe couplings in the digger and a coil of plastic pipe at the ready, it was very annoying. We burst every one of them

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.