Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra adjustable steering column
Dave Bailey

posted on 18/5/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra adjustable steering column

Anyone know if an adjustable sierra column will fit into a Lueago Velocity and still be adjustable. Can't see how it will pivot through the bulkhead.
Liam

posted on 19/5/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Should fit at the wheel end no problem. I'm not sure how the luego chassis holds the other end - the bush or whatever will want a bit of give really for the height adjustment. I'm using an adjustable column but i will not be able to use most of the height adjustment due to fouling of master cylinders. Reach adjustment is useful for different drivers though.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave J

posted on 24/5/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have the adjustable steering column on my Viento. I suspect the fitting brackets are the same. I have up and down adjustment , there is sufficient movement in the bulkhead location bush, but not forward and back as the down link shaft (modified) is located with a pin and clamp at the column end.
The master cylinders are not a problem, although I had to make some hose clamps to pull one of the hoses from the brake fluid reservoir (located on top of the bulkhead tray) away from the steering column. Not sure if you would have the same problem on a velocity.

Cheers

Dave.

Liam

posted on 24/5/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
The back and forward adjustment on the adjustable columns comes from the main column (that the wheel bolts to) sliding up and down the triangular column section. The first uj that pins and clamps to the triangular section doesn't need to move back and forwards. The adjustment can be a little stiff - you may need to clean and grease the plastic strips that are fixed to the triangular piece that the column slides on.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave J

posted on 25/5/05 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Liam,

You wouldn't have a picture of the adjustable area of the column would you?

My column area is finished and a right swine to get the covers off to have a look.

From memory I cannot remember seeing any obvious signs of front to back adjustment as you describe.

My column was supplied by the kit supplier, so it's history is a mystery. I wonder if any Sierra columns had only up and down movement in their earlier type ?. Anybody know?? Did transits use the Sierra column with just up and down adjustment?

Thanks.

Dave

clbarclay

posted on 25/5/05 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using a 91 adjustable sierra column. the adjustment works by having 2 pairs of slots. The vertical pair mounted to the chassis and a horisontal pair mounted to the column. A locking pin arangement goes through both pairs of slots. The triangular end with the nylon bush shows signs of sliding inside the top part of the column and seeing as there is no give in the rest of the steering assemble, I would conclude that this is where the fore/arft movement comes from.

The photo below shows the mecanism. The red arrow popints out the vertical slot, The yellow arrow points out the horivontal slot and the green arrow points to the end of the locking pin arrangement.

[Edited on 25/5/05 by clbarclay] Rescued attachment DSCF0145 small arrows.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0145 small arrows.JPG

Dave J

posted on 25/5/05 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the great picture.
It looks pretty much the same as I remember. I reckon mine must be seized as no matter how hard I pull or push, it won't budge.

I feel a strip down coming on

Thanks again.

Dave.

DarrenW

posted on 26/5/05 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Be careful if you strip[ the mechanism down. I was Project manager at a company that made adjustable columns, the torques etc are accurately set. The idea is when you release lever they should slide OK, the steering wheel should be held with teh remaining friction (too little and it will drop) but when lever is tightened back up you shouldnt be able to move the wheel at all (the guide was it was OK if a big german bloater could heave himself in and out using the wheel as a grab handle).
Dont ask me why germans were picked on - not my idea - something to do with OEM's recieving more complaints from germany for this problem.

Peteff

posted on 26/5/05 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Some of mine

I've put a picture of mine fully adjusted in both directions. I might leave it adjustable or lock it up when I find the best position for it. Rescued attachment column.jpg
Rescued attachment column.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.