Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: master cylinder threads + locking
scutter

posted on 6/8/05 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
master cylinder threads + locking

Could anyone tell me the threads for the pistons on Girling brake master cylinders?

OK being a biffon at the mo, I've read all the articles from wilwood and preformance frictions on adjusting the brake Bias bar,

Which is the correct method of setting the bias,is it to adjust the length of the pushrods into the bar or to move the pivot point relative to the clevises?

Also is roll pinning the locknut an accepted method of locking the single nut on the bar?

May thanks Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 6/8/05 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
threads are 3/8 ths on the brake pipes and 9/16 on the resevoir pipes

to adjust correctly you are off setting the pushrods from the centre of the pedal, if you have different piston sizes in your master cylinders for front and rear brakes then you dont need to add much bias to pass sva, after that best bet is to get a dash adjuster so you can dial it in to suit your driving style

re roll pin for sva

from our experiance this is what they are looking for, no splitpins or double lock nuts though

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 6/8/05 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick responce Marc, the thread i'm after is on the pushrod itself(see below).

looks like i'm going to have to buy some more power tools for the SVA test to lock the nut once set.
[img][/img]

Thanks Dan.

Dick Axtell

posted on 6/8/05 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Scutter,

Just noted your pic. The letters "TVS" stamped on the mcyl body indicate that this unit was produced in India (by TV Sundram, long-time local partner of Girling).

If the port thread is UNF, then so will be that of the input rod. Possibly 3/16?

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

scutter

posted on 6/8/05 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
The picture was for referance only and isn't my cylinders, 5/16 does ring a bell thou.

Dan.

smart51

posted on 6/8/05 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
re roll pin for sva

from our experiance this is what they are looking for, no splitpins or double lock nuts though

What is a roll pin? I'll be needing one of these!

britishtrident

posted on 6/8/05 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Adjusting the push rod length is nothing to do with brake bias --- the pushrods must be adjusted so that the pistons come fully back -- the mushroom end of the each push rod must clear the end of the master cylinder piston by a tiny ammount otherwise the brakes will bind on as they brake fluid warms up and expands.

[Edited on 6/8/05 by britishtrident]

Mix

posted on 6/8/05 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
BT

I was under the impression that the length of the two push rods was set so as when the brake pedal was depressed under normal braking the the balance bar became perpendicular to the push rods.
I agree that the rods should not contact the piston when the pedal is released.

And mine are 5/16 UNF threads

Mick

[Edited on 6/8/05 by Mix]

scutter

posted on 6/8/05 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mick, that's the info i needed.

Dan

britishtrident

posted on 6/8/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
BT

I was under the impression that the length of the two push rods was set so as when the brake pedal was depressed under normal braking the the balance bar became perpendicular to the push rods.
I agree that the rods should not contact the piston when the pedal is released.

And mine are 5/16 UNF threads

Mick

[Edited on 6/8/05 by Mix]

Above all the pushrods MUST come fully back so the head of the mushroom comes hard against the end stop washer, if it dosen't you get hydraulic lock and major brake problems as soon as the system warms up. If there is no other pedal stop (or mechanical stop light switch) fitted a few mm by that I mean no more than 3 or 4 difference in length between the pushrods won't make much difference but this is also limmited by the side clearance between the yokes and the tube on the pedal. This side clearance should be set quite small to give a reserve brake in the event of a single circuit hydraulic failure.

britishtrident

posted on 6/8/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I might add that brake bias shouldn't be twiddled with on a road or competition car. On road car it should be set on on a dry well surfaced road and left. On a competition car the difference between wet and dry settings is normally no more than one full turn towards the rear in the wet -- usually on a car with discs all round 1/2 turn is enough.

In all conditions the front should always lock a fraction before the rears because nothing will spin a car into the galvanised quicker, even Schumy runs with bias towards the front.

If the balance bar setting is found is well off centre it is time to think about either changing the size of a master cylinder on one circuit or alternatively changing the wheel cylinder /caliper bore.

[Edited on 6/8/05 by britishtrident]

Mix

posted on 7/8/05 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a link which will explain things beeter than I

Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.