Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost rear suspension
the moa 2

posted on 1/1/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Locost rear suspension

Having trouble sorting the rear suspension out we bought our chassis from Luego along with some 14inch shocks for the rear. We welded our axle bracket on ourselves following the book in which they used 14inch shocks .

The problem is the axle sits about 10mm above the bottom chassiis rail, so after reading on here it turns out i have too longer shock or i have welded the brackets on wrong.

I see some people on here using 14 inch shocks have the bracket lower or use a longer bolt to go through both trailing arm and shock.

Could someone advise whether i could use a smaller shock rather than to re weld the brackets ?

Also you might be able to work out from the picture that my panhard rod to axle bracket is high as per the book is this wrong ?

Here are some pics.

rear suspension 2
rear suspension 2

rear suspension 3
rear suspension 3

rear suspension 7
rear suspension 7

Avoneer

posted on 1/1/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
With 14" shocks, the bottom shock mount needs to be level with the top trailing arm bolt and you can use the same bolt.

That's what I did and on full droop, the axle rests about 5mm above the chassis.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 1/1/06 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Same Place same problem thanks for saving me asking the question!

I was also considering moving the top shock mounting either inwards or backwards. Are there any particular problems associated with this solution and which position is better more to centre or more to rear?

Caber

MikeRJ

posted on 2/1/06 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
Angling the shocks away from vertical effectively reduces the spring rate and reduces the damping effect.

As to which direction is best, that would depend on the orientation of the shock mounting brackets!

Danozeman

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Iv got this problem too. I reckon ill just use shorter shocks for the rear to keep things easy.

AS for your panhard rod bracket being high. Shouldnt be a problem.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Avoneer

posted on 2/1/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think easiest solution would be to drop the axle onto the chassis (ie, take out the shocks), measure the distance between the two fixinf centres that you currently have, and then buy the closest shock that is slightly shorter than this dimension.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 2/1/06 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try this

My website

Go to tips>suspension tips

Cheers

Chris

the moa 2

posted on 2/1/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help .

In the pics my axle was just about resting on the chassis so i think i will try and get some 12 inch shocks which would give me about 5mm gap when fully drooped..

I took a look at your site Chris and it is very informative the first thing i noticed was how good your GRP panels are did you make them yourself . They look like westfield stuff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.