Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Triumph Herald front uprights?
balidey

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph Herald front uprights?

Hi all,
I have been planning to start on a locost (or self built Avon) for a while and been lurking on here trying to get as much info before i start. One question, why are Triumph Herald uprights not used? I seem to remember being told that a lot of proper racing cars (several other Chapman cars, some TVR's, i think formula ford and some others) used Herald uprights, and some component suppliers even made pattern parts so there could be plenty of them available, and i seem to think alloy versions were also made. So are they suitable, has any one here used them, or have I just been given some duff information? Your answers are much appreciated.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of cars have used them over the years but I remember seeing one at Stoneleigh a couple of years ago (can't remember what car it was ) where the lower trunnion had failed and the suspension had collapsed which wasn't uncommon. If you use them make sure you lubricate with the correct oil (EP90 I think) DO NOT USE GREASE.
britishtrident

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the alloy ones suffer from fatigue -- I wouldn't consider for a street car in any case the standard is light enough.

What you want is a GT6 or Vitesse upright -- the bog standard part as found on most surviving Heralds and Spifire isn't really suitable as about 1962 or so the design was changed to a one piece casting before this date the king pin, steering arm and brake caliper bracket bolted together. However the older design continued on the Vitesse and GT6 which also have the advantage of bigger brake discs.

The small Triumph PCD matches the Marina or Toledo rear axles
The subject has been discussed at length in the forum in the past so a search should reveal quite alot of info.

You might also want to consider using Metro front end parts minus the drive shaft as this is exactly what is used on the MGF and MGTF.

JonBowden

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
what is the benefit of the Metro front end parts ?

Jon

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Virtually free, readily available, proven design in a mid engined car, very cheap consumables, 4 pot calipers without any adaptions - thats enough

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

zetec

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Don't Cateringvans use a GT6 upright? Good idea as nice and lightweight and designed for LSIS style front end.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

JonBowden

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Virtually free, readily available, proven design in a mid engined car, very cheap consumables, 4 pot calipers without any adaptions - thats enough

Ok, sounds good. So can we forget about Sierra and Cortina uprights. What do we need at the back so that the same wheels fit at both ends?

Jon

gazza285

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden

Ok, sounds good. So can we forget about Sierra and Cortina uprights. What do we need at the back so that the same wheels fit at both ends?

Why bother, Dutton didn't.
As BT said, Marina or Toledo. Or if you want independant rears, there's loads of racecar uprights that use 3&3/4" PCD and as a concequence there's loads of 13" racecar rims cheap, and disc brakes, alloy callipers to suit, wishbones etc etc......
Your pockets the limit here.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to go the front engine, rear drive route, I think that marina/moggy rear axles will suit.

Remember that for a midi, the metro bits will be fine, but the steering arm is at the rear of the hub, so book chassis layouts may be a little more complicated.

If going midi, another set of metro fronts will do the trick

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

TL

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Balidey

I have a pair of GT6 uprights fitted with ally hubs (4 stud Ford) and new 266mm vented discs with refurbed GT6 calipers, inc new wheel bearings. They were tailored to fit some 14" Revolutions I have. A change of plans means that I am now not going to use them.
I also have some upper wishbones, but no lowers.
If you are interested, let me know.

The Revolutions & OK tyres are also up for grabs

Cheers,

Terry

Mad Dave

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't Cateringvans use a GT6 upright? Good idea as nice and lightweight and designed for LSIS style front end.

These are what Caterham use. U2U me if you would like a contact name and number!?! They manufacture many classic car parts as well as some not so classic parts.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

britishtrident

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Nice :-)
britishtrident

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
MGTF front suspension Rescued attachment ScreenShot001.jpg
Rescued attachment ScreenShot001.jpg

britishtrident

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
more MGTF Rescued attachment ScreenShot002.jpg
Rescued attachment ScreenShot002.jpg

britishtrident

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Top wishbone MGTF

very much as per Mini and Metro Rescued attachment ScreenShot003.jpg
Rescued attachment ScreenShot003.jpg

Syd Bridge

posted on 6/1/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
MG TF has a beam axle, drum brakes, and big wire wheels, doesn't it ?? I had two in Aus in my youth.
britishtrident

posted on 6/1/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
54 TF was best MG ever made -- loved the steering response and lots of oversteer
cymtriks

posted on 7/1/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
If you want to go the front engine, rear drive route, I think that marina/moggy rear axles will suit.

Remember that for a midi, the metro bits will be fine, but the steering arm is at the rear of the hub, so book chassis layouts may be a little more complicated.

If going midi, another set of metro fronts will do the trick

The picture of a TF suspension shows a separate bolt on steering arm. If the TF upright is a Metro one then the Metro steering arms should also be detachable?

Could the originals be reversed?

If the MG/Metro and the Triumph uprights are so good why isn't everyone using them in preference to bodge modified Ford units?

Doesn't the Lotus Elise also use MGF/Metro stub axles in an alloy upright?

What is the geometry like on the Triumph/MG uprights? Srub radius with standard offset wheels? King pin angle?

britishtrident

posted on 10/1/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Trumph as fitted to Lotus Elan Sprint - KPI s 9 degrees --- these cars ran zero camber.

MGB--- KPI 8 degrees at camber +1 degree ,
The caster was set at 7 degrees.

[Edited on 10/1/06 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.